Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HOW DO I BOOT FROM A SERVER 2003 CD

• Please log in to reply

angex

angex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
IS THERE ANY DANGER OF WRITING OVER MY XP OPERATING SYSTEM?

I DID TRY TO SELECT SERVER 2003 (EVEN THOUGH THE ORIGINAL 180 DAYS TRIAL WAS UP)-FROM INITIAL STARTUP SCREEN(OPTION TO SELECT THIS PARTITION DIRECT SEEMS AS THOUGH IS STILL AVAILABLE)

THEN I PUT ANOTHER SERVER 2003 EVAL COPY INTO CD ROM DRIVE (THINKING THIS WOULD BOOT UP AND START OF THE INSTALLATION PROCESS )

THIS DID NOT SEEM TO HAVE ANY EFFECT - I JUST WAS TOLD 180 DAYS ARE UP STUFF SAME AS BEFORE

IS IT BETTER TO JUST START UP XP - THEN PUT IN THE SERVER 2003 CD INTO CD-ROM DRIVE.

WOULD IT BE CLEAR TO ME THAT I COULD REINSTALL ONTO PARTITION 2 WHICH I CREATED WHEN I INSTALLED THE ORIGINAL 180 DAY COPY (AND ALL STUFF TO GO TO WINDOWS2 FOLDER?)

WHAT IS THE THING WITH PARTITION 1 NOT BEING ABLE TO 'SEE ' PARTITION 2.

I AM WORRIED IN CASE I OVERWRITE MY XP - (CANNOT BACK ANY OF MY STUFF UP) - AND DONT WANT TO MESS ABOUT WITH WIPING OUT BOTH PARTITIONS - AND RECREATING THEM FROM SCRATCH.

Advertisements

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sometimes there are more than one cdrom or cd drive. make sure its in the primary master drive for your cds. once you are sure for that you need to go into the bios and make sure the cd drive is before the HDD so you boot from the cd before the hard drive. it will ask you to press any key to boot from CD.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you install an evaluation copy of windows (any version) there are settings that are made in the registry and in other locations deeper in the system. you cannot simply install another version ontop of the old one to extend the eval period. you have to format the drive and reinstall the OS.

there are alot of holes in the windows OS but uncle bill isn't as stupid as he looks

Edited by dsenette, 28 June 2005 - 01:35 PM.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can set your booting sequence in your BIOS.
point it to boot from your CD-ROM drive, becareful in selecting which partition to install into. this might cause you to over-ride win xp installtion and losing everything.

Your best bet is to label each drive with a known name for example label the C drive WinXP, just right click and rename. this would tell you which drive to touch and which one to leave alone.

hope that answers your queries.