Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot enter Static IP Address

• Please log in to reply

mikecrabtree

mikecrabtree

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello All,

I am having problems assinging a static IP address to my win 98 pc's. When I go into the TCP/IP properties, I click on the button to "Specify an IP Address," however when I click in the address field, it won't put a cursor there and when I try to type the numbers in anyway, the pc just "dings" at me.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong? I have reinstalled windows 98, tried Windows Update.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What is your setup? Do you have a router, or are you just trying to connect to the internet? I've set several 98 PCs up for networking, but without a clue as to what you're trying to do I can't be much help.

mikecrabtree

mikecrabtree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello Tyger,

The setup is a standard PC running windows 98, which I had running connected via a USB cable my broadband modem.

I decided to move the system to wireless, and bought a wireless PCI card and a wireless router. After reading the install guide for the wireless access point (WAP) I needed to buy an ethernet card to config the WAP. I bought a realtek card and installed that. Then I started to follow the instructions, the first is to set the static IP address, and that is where it fails.

There is nothing un-usually on the setup, perhaps having a wireless PCI card and the Ethernet card? I was hoping that it was going to be a simple registry check, but it might be a little more difficult.

Thanks,
Mike

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Gee, more questions, what make and model is the router? Can you access the router with a USB cable. Most routers have to be configured for remote administrative access and that can only be done through a cable, otherwise anyone who parked on the street with a wireless rig could change your settings. If you read your router handbook you will find the address for administration and also the allowed range of IP addresses to connect with the router. You may then assign the router the internet address that your ISP supplied for you.

mikecrabtree

mikecrabtree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That is the problem, I want to set up the WAP to only allow the MAC address of my wireless card. The first thing the hand book says is to connect the WAP to the PC via a crossover cable (supplied) and then set up the static IP Address to 192.168.1.XX. That is the first step and the step I failing on, because I cannot set up the static address on my machine.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
you are using NIC card and taking connection from router or switch ?

mikecrabtree

mikecrabtree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am trying to use the NIC. I connect the WAP to the NIC via the cross over cable. But powered up or down I cannot change the static IP Address. Even with just power on the PC, nothing connected other than the keyboardf/mouse and monitor I cann change the ip address.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There's so many things I still don't know about the setup you're trying to make that it's hard to begin. Why does your computer need a static IP address? Even if you only have one computer hooked to your network the router will have one IP address and the computer another. Whenever I set up a computer with a fixed IP I let the router assign it and then use that address. Do you know the range of IPs that your service provider hands out in your area? You must have a password and username and a network logon to get on a network and you must be logged in as owner or administrator to make any settings changes. If you aren't logging on now you need to change that.

Some ISPs (such as mine) don't have enough IPs to go around so if you log off for five minutes you may have another IP.

mikecrabtree

mikecrabtree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi All,

In the end I went back to Linux, set the static address, configured my WAP, then re-srated up in Windows 98 and now the WAP is up and running. I still canoot work out why I cannot set a static IP address in windows 98. Must have made a big mistake on my set up somewhere, thanks for trying to help.

Mike