Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wont Boot To Desktop

• Please log in to reply

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello Again Guys.

It has winxpp will start to boot, and after the first loadup screen you will see where if you had multiple operating systmes on the computer you can choose, for some reason it has 2 that say Windows Xp Professional. I checked the partitons and there is only 1 partition. i did get it to boot one time and it was in chinese. im not sure if one is for english and other is for chinese. Its a customers computer. please help. if you need further info ill be here.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
despite what some say, windows xp can boot two versions quite happily with both installations on the same paritition---it's a bad idea, but it will do it. This has to be done, however, by installing the second windows in a non-default location

Sounds like someone installed the chinese version in the same c:\windows folder, atop the other one and they are in conflict

Can you get at the boot.ini file and post it?

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
where is that located?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
c:\ (hidden system file)

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
nope. i cant even to the desktop. i have gotten in 2 times and i looked and there hasnt been any driver changes since then. i cant get in in safe mode either. so im not sure what i need to do.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
show hidden files and folders needs to be enabled...can you drop into safe mode ?

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i cant get to any desktop to access any files. I can't boot into safe mode at all either. i have tried last known good configuration and all thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
then use the type command from the recovery console

you may need to use the attrib command as well

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
what command do i need to put in the recovery console? and im not sure what the attrib is.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i guess I assumed since you were working on a customers computer this stuff is not unknown to you...my bad

We'd better back up....since it's xp pro, did they provide you with the windows xp pro admin password? You need it

Advertisements

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
im good with computers hardware mostly not too much into the os yet. still working on hardware part of the A+. there is no admin password on the computer i know when you select which part in the recovery that it asks for a password i hit enter and it goest thought. there isnt an admin password.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so are you in recovery console or not?

Navigate to the root (c:\)

type

attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini

then

type boot.ini

should bring up the contents of boot.ini

relay information

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i put in exactly "attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini"

it says the parameter is not valid. try /? for help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you in c:\ directory

are there spaces between the -r{space}-a....

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
before where i type it says C:\WINDOWS> then i put with spaces
"attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini" i also tried c:\boot.ini and still didnt work. what am i doing wrong????