Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wont Boot To Desktop

• Please log in to reply

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
boss wont let me because he said that you dont know if that just writes virus's to a disk or what. i dont think that what it would do but he apparently thinks so. he said you use companys that are out there like if you want wood or something go to home depot its right down the road. so no he wont let me on a company machine or a chance that it would mess it up further. plus he told me at the last minute this guy bought this computer in china for 400 dollars so it is probably bootlegged. that doesnt stop us from fixing it though. we have no proof, and if we did we couldnt do anything it was in another country. he told me to reseat the processor, ram, take out all pci cards. and well none of that worked. i am running diagnostics on it now.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
boss won't let you buid a windows preinstallation environment from your own windows CD to use to solve a problem.....

I will refrain....

Here is what I think happened.

I think your user got the china PC, discovered it was in chinese, installed a version of windows xp English on top of it in the same directory--probably not even the same service pack.

You are not in a deep hole.

Are you trying to recover data? Or just get the darn thing functional?

I'd go slap your boss up side the head and while he is unconscious, drag the drive from the crapped PC, put it in another pc, take possession of the c:\documents and settings folder, copy it to the other PC, reinstall the drive, wipe it, then reinstall with a fresh OEM copy, copy the data back to the desktop in an folder called OLD DATA, charge the guy for an OEM install, give the guy his CD and send him home and tell him not to buy chinese computers anymore.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just kidding about the slapping the boss idea...he actually has a valid concern, but there comes a time when you need to crap or get off the pot.

This pc is hosed by the user--he wants a PC that works, and that will get him there

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
very nice use of words. Thanks alot for all of your help. and many uses in the future :tazz:.