Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor fan

• Please log in to reply

emillman

emillman

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
on my last computer the fan on the processor went out and i didnt know, which cause the processor to overheat. so on the new one i built i put on the alarm for when the processor fan goes off. Sometimes when my computer is turned on the fan doesnt go. It usually happens when the computer is turned off by pressing the power button. Im not sure if it happens if i go to the start menu and shut off the computer. I dont shut my computer off by the power button but my dad does. The weird thing is, sometimes it starts itself up again. for ex: i turn it on, for a few seconds it works and then it stops. then when i get to the desktop it turns on again and is fine. This has never happened with previous computers. Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
First, tell your dad to stop turning it off by holding down the power button. Second, please let us know what type of computer you are using, and motherboard if possible along with fan model. The fan may just be defective, and you may have to spend like 5-10 bucks on a new one. Knowing what type of motherboard can help us lead you into what power connector it should have. And do you know what BIOS version? If the fan does not work, then at bootup you r computer may tell you that there is a fan problem. This leads me to believe that it may not be the fan. But for 5-10 dollar replacement, it is worth a try.

Peace,
Jared

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i built the comp

motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

power supply
ASPIRE ATX-AS550W-BK ATX 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, FCC, CSA, CB, TUV, CE, NEMCO, SEMCO, DEMCO, TC

processor
AMD Athlon 64 4000

memory
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

harddrive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3160023AS 160GB 7200 RPM ATA150 Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

video card
ATI Radeon All in wonder 9700

this fan is brand new. before i had amd athlod 64 3200 and the fan would go for about 10 seconds then stop, no matter what. So i sent it in to AMD and they sent me a 4000 back. the fan is maybe a week or 2 old

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I am not sure if your board supports it, but my mobo detects when there is a problem with the CPU fan and shuts my computer down before it has a chance to overheat. Maybe there is a way to turn it on in BIOS. My question is basically the same ones that lionelhutz5 has...

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
and what is that question?

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Why wouldn't the BIOS have detected it?

OR

Why not try another fan for a small price? and What is there to lose?

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
this is the second fan already. and i think the BIOS do detect it. the computer makes a constant noise, hard to describe. kind of like an mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. it does that when the fan isnt working. and like i said earlier it does that on and off

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Do you have cool'n quiet enabled in bios? if so try disabling it and see if this behavior continues

Rick

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i cant find the cool n quiet BIOS. and if i get a new fan my warranty will be void

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hello again,

My question is do you know what version of BIOS you are running (Phoenix, Award, Asus...) ?

Advertisements

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
On my Dell, when I open BIOS, it gives the version at the top of the screen "A12." On my HP I know it is different. What type fo computer do you have?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
In bios under PC Health Status, disable "CPU Smart Fan Controll"

Maybe this has something to do with it, this will make the cpu fan run at max rpm's all the time. I am thinking maybe a bug in the bios that stops the fan, worth a shot.

Rick

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
alright, i saw that one. ill try it and report what happens

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i think disabling "CPU Smart Fan Controll" may have fixed it. the fan was off when i was in the setup menu. then the second i disabled it the fan went on. I still have to make sure it was coincidence though.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I bet you'll be ok now