Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

port 680 ?

• Please log in to reply

bazz7777777

bazz7777777

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i have tiscali broadband and every now and then i get an error while im on the internet saying "error unable to open port 680, please redial ", now i know i can just redial and reconnect, its just a pain when you start a big download and then go to bed hoping the download to be finished in the morning and its only downloaded a couple of hours. Any help will be greatly received thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

bazz7777777

bazz7777777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
any help on reducing this problem or clearing it up would be a help thanks

bazz7777777

bazz7777777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i thought this was a geeks site, wheres the geeks to help me with my problem ! :tazz:

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Bazz, this is a FORUM which means users have to see the post. Secondly this is a FREE site and the people who help out VOLUNTERE there free time to do it. You should be a bit more patient and if your wanting a more imediate answer go to the chat room.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
See If Your Topic is More Than Five Days Old. Read what Admin has to say.

Ron

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First you have to help us. What kind of firewalls do you have? Most likely one of your firewalls is blocking one of their program's (in your computer) access to the internet through port 680. You have to find out what program it is and "port forward" the firewall. The Microsoft website has excellent guidelines on port forwarding the XP firewall.

bazz7777777

bazz7777777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it only happens a few times a week and it does not seem to matter which firewall i use zonealarm or windows

ps. sorry guys for being a bit inpatient

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
It sounds like you are getting a DUN error 680. If this is the case then it is like a no dial tone. If you are highspeed and getting this then its like your service being temporairily down.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't use tiscali broadband so just guessing on this :

1) Simply close (do NOT hit "redial") the error dialog and try again after a few seconds, if it is still not working, try to reboot.

If rebooting does not help, then it could be caused by a failed uninstallation and the tiscali broadband software is trying to bind to the native modem on your PC. First verify that the dialing is bound to the wrong modem: while the dialing is in progress, right click on the "Tiscali Broadband Modem" entry in "Network Connections" panel and select "Properties" (you have to do this before closing the dialup error dialog). In the first tab under "Connect Using", if "TiscaliNet Modem (COM n)" is not checked then that is the cause of the problem.

You can resolve this by uinstalling the device driver of your native modem (from Device Manager), then try to run TiscaliNet again to make sure it works. Then you can re-install the native drivers using the cable modem's install CD.

This is a stab in the dark on this one.

2) You don't mention which Tiscali Broadband service you are using. Tiscali Broadband in the UK and I quote :

I signed up for Tiscali's 512 K package - it allows for connection speeds up to ten times faster than a 56 K modem and in that respect, Tiscali did not disappoint. My grouse is with the unreliability of the service and the appalling nature of the technical support.

It can take over an hour to connect to the Internet during peak times - any time from 5 pm onwards. When you turn on your PC you have to wait first of all for their modem to synchronise with their ADSL network. This in itself can take a few minutes, then you dial up to connect. And that's where the problems start.
Tiscali is keen to sign up new users, but in the process seems to have forgotten that more users means heavier traffic. So at peak times their system just can't cope - you can sit there for over an hour dialling and redialling without getting on to the Net. As I write this I had my computer on automatic redial for 65 minutes before finally getting connected. If you are at home all day the problem may not be so great - you can get connected early in the morning and stay on the Net (assuming Tiscali doesn't disconnect you, which can happen). But many people don't want to leave their PC on for hours when they're out - for safety or economic reasons - and if you get back from work tired the last thing you want to do is sit there for ages dialling over and over again just to pick up a few e-mails. In any case, even if you do try to leave it on all the time there are times you have to restart your PC - such as after downloading the latest Windows updates.

Read more at : Tiscali Broadband - avoid it!

3) This is a similar problem which you might take into consideration :

I am a Tiscali Broadband user and up until recently had no problem with them. Then suddenly, I noticed that bittorrent had become incredibly slow. When I tried Kazaa and E-Donkey I found the same thing. While searching the Net, I was alarmed by the number of complaints about similar problems. I used to be a Software Engineer and so I am familiar with a lot of the terminology associated with bandwidth etc, and this has caused me to study the problem in a bit more depth.

The answer turned out to be not what most people might think i.e. either something wrong with their settings, or something Tiscali was doing.

It was with the way the telephone system in my house was wired. What I had forgotten was that Broadband is effectively RF (Radio Frequency) and any Radio Ham will tell you that RF doesn't obey the same rules as AF (Audio Frequency). With RF, any long loops of wire that don't go anywhere, or are not terminated correctly can downgrade performance. I now realise that when Tiscali upgraded my connection, they must have tipped the RF response of the house phone wiring over the edge. I have rewired it, and so far at least, the speed problems have gone away.
So it seems that Tiscali were not to blame after all. Maybe I have some repenting to do!

Read more at : The Scream

4) Read your contract and see if it has any restrictions like

5.9 that mentions that if they think we "adversely affet the network" they may change our access rate.
This comes after 5.7.2 that says the user cannot use Bband to "deliver, knowingly receive, upload, download use or re-use any (...) material (...) in breach of any copyright".

Tiscali may be actively restricting your time/downloads on the 'Net.

5) Possibly delete and create a new Tiscali profile to see if it corrects the problem.

6) It may be totally related to Win XP where it disconnects you during long periods of inactivity while connected to the Internet. Also, may be a prefernce/option setting for the Tiscali modem or Win XP. Usually a lenghty download without any keyboard activity triggers this because of the detection method used to detect inactivity.

7) Check out Tiscali Network FAQs

8) Read some stuff from ADSLguide

Lot of these are about Tiscali.

9) This covers Tiscali accelerators :

Tiscali Accelerators FAQs

10) This one directly relates to your error code (from tiscali.help) : Broadband Error 680

11) This one covers connection help for Tiscali and Win XP : Connections Settings Help

This also provides connection help for other Window's operating systems.

None of this may help you, but I would try to read each one carefully as there is a wealth of information covering your problem somewhere in it.

Ron