Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
My system uses WIN XP Pro. Suddenly last week, just lots of gibberish on the screen while online downloading. I had to reboot and then the system could not see a hard drive. Before spending money for a new drive, I used a known drive to test the system. It was invisible also. I then tried each drive on the secondary IDE since the CDROM, DVD, and floppy work. Again invisible. Either drive is visible in BIOS. What happened and what do I do next? System has AVG on it but I can't run a virus scan from the cd rom or floppy.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It does sound like the original hd went bad, did it make any noises such as clicking before the crash?

When you installed the known working hd to test did you set the jumper to master?

Did you try a new ide cable?

Rick

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Known HD set to master. No noises on the hard drive that crashed. Cable used was on the known hard drive.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try clearing the bios by using the jumper on the motherboard then see if the bios will recognize the drive.

Possible bios virus I ain't sure but post your system specs maybe someone else will have a idea

Rick