Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

static address but no ping

• Please log in to reply

omc

omc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello guys, I just received my connection settings from an ISP, through cable-LAN, and he says my ip is static. I asked a couple of friends to ping me, but they receive request timed out. In fact, the ISP also received the same when he tried to ping me (so it seems the cause is in my settings). I can ping myself.
Also, when I put a html site on IIS, I can access it but no one else can. What could be wrong?
I run windows 2000 pro, panda antivirus and firewall. The IP is 85.204.41.80. I'm not sure what else to say. Thank you!

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Please be more elaborate as to how your connection is set up. Of course you have cable to cable modem. After that, what is the setup like. Be sure to indicate what ports the cables are plugged into on the router also.
The IP that you have entered in manually, what interface did you enter it in on? Was it on your router or PC? As far as the IIS goes, if you are going through a router, did you open up port 80 so the http request can get to the server?

Greazy Mcgeezy

omc

omc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm afraid I didn't even ask where the modem is (it's not in my house, that's for sure). My ISP says I'm connected through a cable which goes for 70 meters outside my house where it enters a switch. It seems this switch collects several computers in the neibourhood, connecting them afterwards to a server running linux. I was told to set this as DNS and gateway (85.204.41.1). The connection of this server outside is through optic fibre.
I do have internet connection, the setup seems ok from this point of view. I also asked if the ports are open, and he said that in principle, they are all open. Of course, he advises me to have a firewall for my own security.
I do have panda dealing with it, and it happened to notice once in a while a message saying that IIS is trying to do something potentially dangerous. I allowed it to.
But when I ask trace route to get to my address it does not get to my gateway (shouldn't it?). It stops somewhere at 212.93.158.22/212.93.158.17 (which belongs to RDS, my provider's provider). I don't get it: whatever ports I have open or closed, shouldn't it get to my gateway anyway first? I really want an answer to this question, please, in order to understand this strange connection.
Can I use under this conditions my personal computer as a personal web server?
My ISP says I definitely am, and the problem is in my computer. Where? As far as my computer is concerned, I can access my ports (80, 81, 8000 etc). What more can I check?
Thank you!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the static ip on the router or on your computer?

omc

omc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
On my computer. Well, I finally managed to make it visible from the outside, it seems that he was right and I was wrong! The only question that remains is: how do you assign a static address through dhcpd?