Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CDRW/DVD insert problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, this seems weird to me. The Dell tech thought I should try re-loading the OS, but I really don't want to go there at this point:

I'm running XP Pro on an Inspiron 8600 with a Sony CDRW/DVD CRX830E drive. If I start with a CD in the drive (data, audio, DVD, whatever) the OS picks it up fine, but when I eject and then insert a different CD (again, any sort), the folder pane continues to give info on the original. Eventually (especially if I F5) info on the newly-inserted CD shows up in the right pane. Sometimes, the folder names will start to show up in the left pane (as I recall, if I navigate through them, but the originals are still there too; haven't tested that out), but the icon, CD description and properties continue to reflect the original CD. Rebooting picks up the new CD (if it's in when I reboot)!

It used to be worse, but the Dell tech to whom I referred earlier told me about deleting the "upper filters" and "lower filters" values in the registry. Before that, the CD's files wouldn't ever show in the right pane and I had all sorts of application problems when a CD was involved. It seems that now at least the CD is eventually recognized and the only for sure problem is that the left pane shows old information.

We tried disabling all startups via msconfig, but that didn't seem to make it any better or at least didn't fully fix the problem. BTW, C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll and C:\Program Files\Zinio\Zinio Delivery Manager.exe came back without asking, if that matters to the current problem.

What gives? Please don't tell me I have to reload or repair. I was hesitant to repair: should that be safe (without messing with the rest of my system)? Is it likely to do any good?

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. This from M$ is documentation of the registry edit you probably did http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553. They mention option 2, which is un-installing the device and then running the hardware wizard and re-installing the device and driver. This may be worth trying. Go to device manager and remove the drive. You can follow the steps detailed in the M$ document.