Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd prob trying to recover files after replacingXP

• Please log in to reply

cdeman

cdeman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well,
I am new to these forums so hello and I appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can give. Normally I can just about find out any solution myself by reading or searching. However, I am in above my head this time due to me just not thinking.

My situation is that this morning when I turned on my computer, I got the black screen, and it told me that windows could not boot due to it missing a config.msi file or something to that effect. Anyway, I had just gotten off of a 18 hour bus ride and was not thinking at all. So instead of trying to use a system restore point, I made the mistake of placing the manufacturer's OEM CD in and rebooting that way. I figured the best way would be to just replace that specific file.

But, when it booted the recovery CD up, it only gave me the option of a full restore, that completely wipes all data. Or it gave me the option of backing up the info that was there, and replacing the main bootup files(or what I assume to be the main bootup files). So I did the latter. It replaced windows OS. After thinking about it, I realized what I had done but it was too late. So as I turned on the computer, it booted up fine. And it seemed to work good. But now I realized that it didnt just replace that, adn that all my files from before, the "my documents" etc were now in a different area. Not a big deal I thought at first. But the main folder that I used, the one with all the files I need I cant get access to now. It tells me that I dont have access to it. I did have a password set to that account, so I am thinking that's why it wont let me access it. There was supposed to be a way that I could recover those files. I dont have a clue how.

I know that the info is there, because out of a 60 gig hard drive I have about 200 megs left. I just came back from Iraq, and all of my photos etc were in there. So I am really irked to say the least. I went to best buy and bought an external hard drive and a program called search and recovery2, but it only recovers things that I have deleted from this current account. I tried to do a system recovery now, but it tells me that basically this computer didnt exist before this morning when I loaded the new XP on there.

Anyway, sorry so long, and hopefully someone can give me a hand. Thanks.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Try this to get your files:
http://support.micro...1&Product=winxp
Johanna

cdeman

cdeman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Czarina,
Thanks alot! That was it. I cant believe it was that simple. I knew it was probably that the backup files were coded, but I didnt know it was that easy. You saved me a lot of pain.

Thanks again,
cd

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
:tazz:
Glad to help out! Thanks for posting back that it worked.

Johanna