Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

widows xp

• Please log in to reply

erddotillos

erddotillos

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Gud day!

My problem is that im confused if it is ok when you are using an winxp os and you will boot from a win98 bootable disk because my computer encountered boot failure.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you be a bit more specific as to what "boot failure" means to you? How far will it boot? There may be other ways to get in there than using boot media.

http://freepctech.co.../files010.shtml

Johanna

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I beleive that XP and win98 use different versions of disk operating system so you wouldn't be able to do that . Go to www.allbootdisks.com or www.bootdisks.com to get an XP boot disk. You can use any computer to do it.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Tyger,
click the link I posted, above. You can boot XP w/ a 98 disk, or download other alternatives other than the 6 floppies MS offers.

Johanna

erddotillos

erddotillos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
HI guys.....!

Thanks for some suggestions you've shared tomee...

By d way, to be more specific with my problem, I encountered the ntdlr missing when it boot up. I already run the winxp cdrom setup but it cannot complete the setup until i decided to reformat the hard disk and again same prolem comes up. Is it possible that the processor is the troubled...
What should i do...ppls help me guys..!

hope to here from you soon.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

Johanna

erddotillos

erddotillos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
can you give me the process when copying one HD to another HD. Imean pc cloning...1

thnks

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
if you have the XP CD handy just pop it into your CD-ROM and follow the following steps:

-When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
-Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
-You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
-Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

-Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

hope the above helps