Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Protocol

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have a new-build computer with a SATA HDD connected to the SATA interface on the MB. The SATA HDD is my main drive witht he OS an programs. I want to connect a second drive to use Ghost to do backup, but the older drive is IDE. I also have CD-ROM and a DVD- RW drive, currently connected to Primary IDE. Since I want the second HDD to only be available when I do the backups, do I leave the CD & DVD drives connected to the Primary IDE, with the backup HDD on Secondary IDE, or swap the second HDD to Primary IDE and move the CD & DVD drives to secondary?

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Not sure I totally understand what you're trying to accomplish but let me say a couple of things. First, it isn't going to matter whether you put the second (IDE) hard drive on your primary or secondary IDE controller. Secondly, since you want to have this available only when you are doing backups or imaging your system drive, the logical thing for you to do would be to purchase a removable drive bay to hold this drive and then you can turn it on or off with the twist of a key or pull it from your system if you really want to. You can buy a removable drive bay for anything from $7 to $50 provided you have an open 5.25" slot available in your case. I've got them in all of my machines - slicker than slick if thats your intended purpose.

:tazz:

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the info Rock. I'll try to explain what my newbie is thinking.

I want to use Ghost to backup HDD to a second drive. I don't necessarily want BIOS to recognize second HDD in case I get another bad Trojan like the ADMINCASH I got earlier. So, my understanding is, I use Ghost to back up main HDD periodicallyu and it is invisible the rest of the time. I think I read in the Ghost manual (yes, I read the manual FIRST :tazz: ) and it appears you can use some sort of command to make it visible and invisible, at least to intruders??

My goal is to back up the OS and system, now that I have the base programs restored - before I add a lot of data. Have one starting point that I can recover to in case of above named nasty trojan. Then, use Ghost to occasionally back up system with data files, overwriting that file each time. I will have two backed up files - one with base OS and Programs. Second, a rolling, update of HDD as it is on the date of the periodic update.

Any clearer? Muddier than before?

Thanks for any advice and or cautions

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Fully understand but sounds like a little overkill and unnecessary decommissioning of your second drive most of the time. Here's what I was referencing which is actually safer but again, if decommissioned, still overkill from this writers perspective.

I follow a somewhat similar backup procedure, using Ghost images - yes, one early base image followed by roughly once a month imaging. But, I also use Replicator to make automatic daily backups of data files, docs, dbx and pst files. Makes for a pretty comfortable night's sleep knowing all bases are covered in the event of a catastrophy.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 29 June 2005 - 05:32 AM.