Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My IPod mini is making me insane

• Please log in to reply

T Poppins

T Poppins

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I purchased an IPod mini recently& have had nothing but problems. Installation disk installs updater & iTunes just fine. Installation wizard starts when iPod gets plugged in ("found new hardware"), but then it tells me that the device was not installed because it could not locate a driver. iPod does not show up on My Computer, but does show up in hardware/devices with an exclation point next to it. Further exploration finds that there is no driver. I have done everything a million different ways!!! Please, please any help!! I'm ready to return it or smash it!! Isn't it supposed to work just fine with Windows XP?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
ok un-install all iPod drivers and software, reboot your machine and after reboot plug your iPod into your PC. Let XP detect it and try to install the driver, it will prompt you to insert the CD for the driver if it doesn't find it.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
do not let xp detect it and install drivers, if you can remove all drivers and even better system restore to before you started with your ipod, restart, put in the cd first, attatch your ipod when it asks for it, and let apples installer guide you, ignore anythnig xp does, also, it might be a service pack 2 thing, i tried installing service pack 2 a while back, and removed it because my ipod stopped working, i went back to no service packs and everything was great

Idle-Brain

Idle-Brain

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
It says clearly on the box: "XP may NOT recognize it and that you MUST FIRST install BEFORE you plug the Ipod/PDA in your pc"

It's on the inside of the box, in your manual 4 times and when you want to install the Synchronizer program, you can read it twice that you may NOT plug in the Ipod BEFORE the installation.

XP detects it and immediatly strings wrong stuff to the Ipod, it creates it's own drivers for the Ipod and those are just wrong for the Ipod. I hope you can get back to the point of before recognition, so you can completly errorless install it again.

Good luck!!!