Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Cord Problems

• Please log in to reply

AlbertGator

AlbertGator

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I have an HP Pavilion zv5240us that I bought last July (don't know how relevant this is to the problem, but might as well get it out there). Over the past few (~3 to 4) months I have experienced severe problems getting my computer to sense that the power cord is attached. If moved even slightly, it loses the connection, and often doesn't even need to be moved, the pressure to the jack just needs to be let up (read: once I let go of the cord after plugging it in). I have checked the jack and the plug and there seems to be nothing on them, and there are no dents or bends in it either. Is there any way to determine what's going and/or how to fix it?

Advertisements

AlbertGator

AlbertGator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update on the above problem: I came home to discover that my battery is no longer charging. It is at 54% and plugged in, but isn't charging anymore. If I continually unplug and reconnect the power source, it gives me the charging icon for a few seconds, but then stops and just holds steady on AC power (unless the connection fails, which is usually does). This is ominous, as it could well mean a complete inability to access my computer due to lack of power sources. If anyone has any ideas, please. I'm dying here.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I would first suspect either the connector is loose or has a bad connection inside of the computer, or the connector from the power supply is defective. The simplest way to describe it would be like when you plug a power cord into a wall outlet and it keeps falling out or just makes intermittent contact unless you hold it "just right". I think you have the same sort of thing going on here. You could try another power cord (this is a ac to cd converter with a cord on it. That would probably be the easiest thing to try first. Next would be to open the laptop and inspect the connector inside.

AlbertGator

AlbertGator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, that's what I figured, the problem with this being 1) I don't have money to throw around for another power cord, and 2) I'm scared to open this baby and kill her. What exactly would I expect to find if I did open it up? Is there a possibility that it'd be something I could fix simply?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hard to say what you will find on the inside of that box. I suspect what you have on the laptop is maybe two or three very small pins (male) and the plug has corresponding holes that these pins enter when the connection is made. Inside of these hole would be a metal sleeve that the pins make contact with to complete the circuit. The connection is intermittent because the "sleeves" are loose, not making good contact. The easiest thing to do first would be replace the power cord. If you have a small probe or screw driver, you could perhaps check the pins on the laptop to see if they are loose, by gently pushing against them with the screwdriver while observing with a flashlight to see if they move. If they are secure, concentrate on the cord itself.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If your laptop is under warranty as it probably should be contact HP and get it fixed/replaced.

AlbertGator

AlbertGator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My warranty for HP isn't worth all that much. I started having problems with the touchpad and keyboard not functioning only two months after I bought it, and they claimed it was my fault and refused to fix it because of a crack in the outer casing that not only had nothing to do with it, but happened after the malfunction started. I sent it in once and they wouldn't fix it, so I'm pretty sure that they're not going to take it again. The rep explained that there's no way to get in touch with the techs directly, and without being able to do that I cant explain to them why their diagnosis was wrong, so no one who can fix it will ever know it wasn't my fault.

So, in short, I don't trust them. I'd rather jam a screwdriver in my computer than go through sending it back again.

sverbil

sverbil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had exactly the same problem with my zv5078cl, starting about 6 months ago. It is out of warranty, of course. This is a simple coaxial connector, and it is fitting tightly.

I have tried another known good HP power supply, and exactly the same thing happens. Sometimes, the front power supply connected indicator lights, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes, pulling the cord out and putting it back in --- or simply just touching it slightly --- is sufficient to get it to start charging again. Nothing is more frustrating than having this thing go dead with the cord plugged in!

I have taken the PC apart and tried to look at the connector --- but it is buried under part of the heat removal system for the processor, and I can;t really get at it. *But*, I am able to see that it is not loose.

I am not convinced that this is a mechanical problem, but acts more like a logic problem in the power/charging circuitry. I am at a loss regarding what to do...

---Steve

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Try this website: pretty much describes the problem

http://www.uofr.net/...roubleshooting/

There are many more like it .....

Google: "HP Power Cord Problem" . . . . . In fact you can generally google any of your hardware - software - browser problems & get some information

It even connected me to this page from google . . . .

Jack123

sverbil

sverbil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I saw the page you referred to, and it does not describe the problem or its solution. I have had the case apart. The connector is not loose. The board is not getting hot. The power supply is delivering exactly what it is supposed to deliver. The plug and its socket are in good shape. Something else is going on....

---Steve

AlbertGator

AlbertGator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, I looked at mine as well and it really didn't look like it was 'loose'. The tech support guy said that it shouldnt be able to move at all when plugged in, but that might mean that my whole motherboard is loose, as the connector itself was snug in its place. I am also suspicious that it is as much a software/logic problem as anything else, as my computer has also stopped reverting to full screen power when plugged in. It stays in power saving mode all the time, which means my screen is dimmer and i cant tell when it comes unplugged just from the brightness of it. Annoying.

It would be really helpful if anyone knows a possible fix for this, though, as I am scheduled to send it in to HP soon (my warranty runs out next week) and I would love to not have to deal with it.

Also, I have a Circuit City extended warranty on this thing. From my understanding of their rules, they'll fix it even if I broke it, but my warranty would then be "used up". Is this true or am I being too hopeful?