Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Front Side Bus speed

• Please log in to reply

Pete Cole

Pete Cole

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Folks, I have a Sony Vaio desk top, model PVC-RX755(uc). I have uped the ram to one gig, and according to the specifications I should have a 400Mhz Front Side Bus. However, Nero Tools says it has only a 100 Mhz Front Side Bus. Why would this be, and how can I get it to run at the proper speed? My understanding is that the Bus speed affects the overall speed of the computer in doing things like rendering video editing and burning backups to DVDs, which is slower than it should be. I would appreciate any information or suggestions. Thanks, Pete.

Advertisements

Idle-Brain

Idle-Brain

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
The FSB affects ALL. It is the feed to the Ghz your processor is functioning at.

If you don't feel the difference, like it does 4x longer about boot or something, then it COULD be a bug of Nero Tools, not your motherboard. Do you have any build-in software??? Like <windows> <break> (the break key is the 2nd key to the right of Print Screen and THAT key is to the right of F12, just in case you didn't know :tazz: )

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
check your BIOS and see if you running at the 400MHz speed, if not you can make the selection right there and then.

Pete Cole

Pete Cole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
"check your BIOS and see if you running at the 400MHz speed, if not you can make the selection right there and then."

Thanks, but how does one get into the Bios to check it or change the speed? Pete.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How fast are the other devices on the bus? The fleet can only go at the speed of the slowest ship!

humphrey884

humphrey884

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I would suggest either running a virus scan just in case nero tools has a virus in it nero might also have a bug in it that you need to be fixed or you can result to Nerotools.com to get a special download to fix the bug in your nero tools.

Edited by humphrey884, 30 June 2005 - 10:08 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I was sort of rushing out the door when I made my previous reply. Right now computers are "between generations", 32 bit cpus are being replaced by 64 bit, and 133mhz memory is being replaced by 400 and 800. So there are a lot of machines out there, the Baby Dell is a good example, that have cpus and chipsets that are capable of 400, or even 800mhz fsb perfomance, but their memory and hard drives can't handle it. My Dell is capable of 400mhz, but it only has 168 pin memory and I haven't been able to find any 400mhz memory for it yet!

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
sorry i haven't checked the follow up for this thread, you can get into your BIOS when you reboot your machine press either DEL or F2 it should tell you straight after it starts up at the first screen before it gets into loading windows. there is a setting there for BUS and CPU speeds.

the above all depends on your motherboard.

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
download this programme and run it then click on about and click html report and post the result back here

Attached Files

Edited by chopyaedoff, 01 July 2005 - 03:16 AM.

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
download this programme and run it then click on about and click html report and post the result back here
[edit]ignore this post double post[edit]

Edited by chopyaedoff, 01 July 2005 - 03:16 AM.

Pete Cole

Pete Cole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Chopyaedoff, Thanks for the software, I ran it and here is the attachment of the HTML results. Pete.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.htm   6.88KB   160 downloads