Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Won't start up!

• Please log in to reply

joeiznogood

joeiznogood

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hey GtG

i have a dell dimension 4500 and since yesterday night it just won't start up into windows! i restarted my computer after running some anti-spyware programs, ad-aware and so on, and then when it started up it got to the windows xp screen and stayed there for some minutes... I then turned it off on the power button, and turned it back on and it started up to that screen where u can select to start safe mode (with or without networking and commandoprompt), last working setting or start widnows normally. Í just selected start normally, but then it started up and the log in screen wouldn't appear only the blue background. then i had to restart it and it did this same thing a couple of times, then i tried running safe mode with networking and that worked fine so i reset my compter to and earlier time that day using system restore and when i started it up normally it still wouldnt work! So i turned it off AGAIN, and that was where the BIG problem started, the pc goes to the selection screen described earlier and no matter which one you select it starts up and you only get a fraction of a second glimpse at a blue screen where it has a message on it (not a blue screen of death by the way) and then it reboots itself and goes back to the selection screen.

i got pretty pissed off as you might guess, so i took a break from it but that didnt help, unfortunately :tazz:, so i ran whats called the "Dell Diagnosis" thing or something which is on a separate little partition made by dell (36 mb or something) and it came up with the following results:

Test Errors
IDE Disk 0 - Confidence Test : Fail
Result Code: 0F00-1344
Msg: Block 6364366: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

IDE Disk 0 - Confidence Test : Fail
Msg: Block 141964975: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

IDE Disk 0 - Read Test : Fail
Result Code: 0F00-0244

IDE Disk 0 - Read Test : Fail

IDE Disk 0 - Verify Test : Fail
Result Code: 0F00-1A44

IDE Disk 0 - Verify Test : Fail

IDE Disk 1 - Confidence Test : Fail
Msg: Block 4673326: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

IDE Disk 1 - Read Test : Fail

Msg: Block 56731278: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Msg: Block 66090703: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

IDE Disk 1 - Verify Test : Fail

Msg: Block 56731278: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Msg: Block 66090703: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Also when i run something called "IDE drive diagnostics" it comes up with an error message for each of my two drives saying "Fail. Return code: 7".

I have tried everything i can think of without actually getting into windows... HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!!

Thanks a lot in advance,

Joe.

P.s. Windows XP doesn't have a Dos look-a-like that you can run without gettin into windows does it?

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

I know you said, you could boot into Safe Mode, can you still boot there? If not, from the results it seems that the hard drive failed. This actually happened to a Dell PC I was working on. One day it just wouldn't boot up, and it turned out the hard drive went bad. Btw, is this a Maxtor drive? I think I heard somewhere Dell is having issues with their Maxtor hard drives, though I may be wrong. From what you have posted it seems like the hard drive did fail though. Try and boot to Safe Mode and let us know if you can. :tazz:

Also, another idea is to run chkdsk. It will check and repair or recovers the drive if possible. You'll need your Windows XP cd.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password(if you didn't set one, try just hitting enter). At the system prompt, type Chkdsk /f /r

B

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can reach DOS-like window without booting into windows, but you will need your XP CD. boot using the CD and select repair from the first menu, this will bring you into Recovery Console which you can use like a command prompt with extra features.