Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unsolvable Problem

• Please log in to reply

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
If the new user account works, then why not just transfer personal data from the old account to the new account and delete the old one? (it's actually quite easy to do and doesn't take near as long as it sounds :tazz: )

It doesn't require the XP CD and after running SFC you may have to re-install Windows Updates. So there are 2 problems avoided.

Advertisements

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Really? great, so how do I transfer data to another account?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Please follow all instructions exactly - I would advise printing them out:

1.) I need you to create a third administrator account.

2.) Log-in to the third account.

3.) Go into Windows Explorer. You can get to Windows Explorer by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer. Once in Windows Explorer, go up to View > Explorer Bar and put a check next to "Folders".

4.) Then go up to Tools > Folder Options. Click the "View" tab and click "Show Hidden Files and Folders". UNcheck "Hide File Extensions for known file types" and UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files"

5.) Navigate to this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Old Username

* Old Username is not the actual name of that folder. The name of this folder is whatever name you have for the account with problems.

Once inside that folder, PRESS and HOLD the ctrl key. Then use your mouse and LEFT-click ALL files and folders to highlight them EXCEPT the following:

Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini

Do NOT highlight those 3 files!

Once ALL files and folders are highlighted (except the above three!) go up to "Edit > Copy"

Now, navigate to this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\New Username

New Username is whatever the name of your SECOND account (make sure it's NOT the 3rd account!)

Once inside that folder, go up to "Edit > Paste"

Now, log-off the third account and log-in into the SECOND account and your data will be there now. :tazz:

However, if you use Outlook we will have to copy your e-mails a different way so do NOT delete the first account yet! Just let me know if everything in the 2nd account is good after moving your data to it.

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Okay, my 2nd account is now working with all the data from account 1, and IE is working too.
But can i delete accounts 1 and 3 w/o losing the data on account 2?
(meaning, will my 40GB of data that were on accoutn 1 stay on account 2 if i delete 1).

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts

But can i delete accounts 1 and 3 w/o losing the data on account 2?

I think you're a little confused about what we did, but anyway, Yep, once we move your e-mails, you can delete account 1 and 3 without any worries :tazz: Don't delete them yet! Do you use Outlook?

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Nah, i use a website email... outlook sucks :tazz:.... anyhow, so NOW can i delete all accounts other then the one that works, w/o losing anything?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok, great! You can now delete accounts 1 and 3 without having to worry about anything :tazz: Just make absolutely sure not to delete account 2!!

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Okay. ;) well, i can't sasy thanks enough to all you guys who helped me right from the start of my problem... so THANKS ;)

And you wanna know when your doing a good job? well you did. This is the best help i got anywhere :tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You're welcome! :tazz:

I highly recommend Service Pack 2 now. Go to http://www.microsoft.com and click on "Windows Update" on the left, then click "Express Install" to install the latest security updates.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Ewido Security Suite <= Protection against Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware, and Keyloggers.

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
  • Firewall<= A firewall is definitely a must have. Three good free versions are Sygate, Kerio, and ZoneAlarm.