Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you remove a partly installed Norton AV

• Please log in to reply

Grant1

Grant1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I have a pc which came with Norton AV but I was given a corporate version from my company. I removed the old version and started to install the corporate version , 8.1.0.825, only to find out that it was not compatible with XP. So I used the restore feature in XP and rolled it back. I am now in a twilight world between the two and I can't remove or install either of them, over the weekend things seem to have changed! I don't know if I have been hacked but my Norton firewall is displaying similar syptoms where it was fine before. I can only shut the pc down by holding the on button. I have scanned using AVG but nothing was found, also I am having to use my old pc as I can not get out on to the internet with my main pc. I assume that I need to edit the registry to climb out of the hole that I have dug but I am not that familiar with this. Any ideas for what I should try?

Thanks, in anticipation. :tazz:

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
if you go to the Norton folder on your system which it could be under Program Files\Symantc

can you see uninstall.exe? because sometimes if the program hasn't been installed successfully or properly that it wouldn't appear in the add/remove programs, but it might have left the uninstall.exe files there which could uninstall the program for you.

Grant1

Grant1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Samiko,

Thanks for the quick response, I have looked in programfiles and there are four folders for Symantec AV but none of them have an uninstall exe. Three of the folders are Country.DAT files.

Do you reckon I should delete them all ?

Thanks. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would check taskmanager to see if anything from symantec is running...turn it all off.

uninstall all norton products then remove all norton folders in

c:\program files

I woudl then look in your profile
C:\Documents and Settings\{profilename}\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\{profilename}\Local Settings\Application Data

for any additional norton/symantec folders and delete them

Then reinstall the desired norton programs

I would leave the registry alone for now

Grant1

Grant1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Gerryf,

I found SymPxSvc.exe running and so I killed that but when I try to remove either Symanted Anti virus client or Symantec Client Firewall i get:

"Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this installation."

Should I just ignore this message and blow away the folders anyway and reboot?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
this won't solve the problem. its detecting somewhere probably registry that you have already started installing the software.

try to re-install it again if possible and run it under compatibility mode, right click on the setup.exe file and select properties then compatibility tab, you can set it for whichever operating system it was specified for.

this would install it and then you can do a proper removal via add/remove programs.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
let's do two things first

First, give me a hijack log so I can see if you have a install program ready to kick off.

Next delete everything in your temp folder

C:\Documents and Settings\--profile name--\Local Settings\Temp

Grant1

Grant1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Gerryf,

Here is the output from hijackthis

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would remove the four service entries (023) FOR SYMANTEC PROCESSES, then open regedit

start > run
regedit
enter

navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Delete any PendingFileRenameOperations values in this key.

then delete everything in
C:\Documents and Settings\--profile name--\Local Settings\Temp

then delete reboot and delete the various symantec folders found
here:
c:\program files
C:\Documents and Settings\{profilename}\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\{profilename}\Local Settings\Application Data

That should erase evidence of a installation in progress and allow you to install those programs again (they will need reregistering) without too much registry editing

rocheux

rocheux

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ignore all that other stuff & go to symantec.com (norton's home page) and download SymNRT and run it. It is made to erase all of any NAV program and do it without dumping shared files!!! Don't try to do it file by file as suggested. I just made that mistake and it did not get them all and left it messed up. SymNRT is the key!
Rocky

Grant1

Grant1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi All,

I am now a happy person ;)

I tried the deletion of the files and a quick look in the registry showed nothing to remove but it did not work. So, I went to the Symantec web site and tried SymNRT but it complained that I had to remove Symantec Anti Virus 8 before it would proceed. That was a pain because that is what I wanted it to remove!
Looking around I found two further offerings Rnav2003 and RnisUPG. I ran each of these, with a reboot in between, and I am back in the land of the living now and not using my old 286.

So a big THANKS to every one for their help and suggestions. :tazz:

P.S. I had my company support people phone this morning, they suggested that I re-install the OS! As much use as a barbed wire bucket!!