Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help choosing gfx card

• Please log in to reply

Sphinx

Sphinx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hey everyone. i need help in choosing a gfx card for my computer. a freind keeps tellin me to get the 256mb ATI Radeon 9800 SE but the store owner says the 256mb GeForce 6600GT is the better way to go. i dont know for sure but the 9800 SE costs around 140 $$ and the 6600GT is 400. i have the money to buy the 6600GT and i think its the way to go to but my friend is persistant that the 9800 SE is better. can someone help me please???

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
well it generaly goes 9800>6600GT>x800>X800XL/pro=6800GT>6800Ultra>X850
A bog standard x800 costs the same as a 6600GT usually the 256mb 6600 is still limited by its 128 bit imterface.

Sphinx

Sphinx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
over here the x800 is 200 bux more then the 6600gt, 600 $$ in other words, i can only either get the 6600GT or the 9800 SE. so which one???

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Where are you from? Thats very unusual the better x800s yeah but the bog standard one are nowhere near that price anywhere else.

Edited by warriorscot, 29 June 2005 - 06:59 AM.

Sphinx

Sphinx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
queensland australia. i am going by what my mate is tellin me so i think he just wants me to not have a better card then him lol. but 2morrow i will be checking there to see what the x800's price is.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah ive noticed from other aussies that pc hardware can be quite expensive over there even more expensive than here. Shop around on the net see what you can find x800s are usually at the high end of the 6600gt price range bu they arent that much higher the x800 from HIS which is one of the better ones is only 20 quid more than a normal 6600GT and its cheaper than the 256MB version. Just whatever you do dont buy from an actual shop go in play with all there stuff on display and ask them questions but always buy online as they have better prices always.

Sphinx

Sphinx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ahh ok then will do 2morrow. thnx for your help

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
nae bother.