Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Xp, Boot up and Monitor Help

• Please log in to reply

HelloKitty05

HelloKitty05

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: ;) I am so fed up with this computer. I need some help!! ;)

Have a windows xp operating system, Only one ever to be on this computer. I am not totally sure whats going on, The computer will not pick up the monitor. (which works fine as it works with another computer) I am not sure if it is a video card problem or if its a problem with the computer booting up. It will turn on, but seems to just hang, Normally when I turn it on, Both the red and green lights comes on, and then the red light goes off and continues to load, But right now the red light will no go off. like its hanging and rebooting doesnt help ..

The daycare kids were hitting buttons when the puter was running and it ran fine for a while after word till I shut it down and now ive had problems. I have had them bang on the keyboard before (its a computer just for them) and never had any kind of problems so I am baffled

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so you see nothing on the monitor at all?

HelloKitty05

HelloKitty05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All that I see is the self test saying that the monitor works correctly. I have tried it on a different computer and it does work.

I think maybe the computer is hung on booting up as both red and green lights are on but I have no idea how to fix it since I cant see the screen

I am normally pretty good at fixing the problems but this one has me soooo baffled :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the self test is a monitor self test or the BIOS bootup (memory count up)

HelloKitty05

HelloKitty05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I hooked the monitor up to another computer and it does work,

Now just to figure out whats going on with the puter on why its hung on booting up .. I dunno If I cant figure it out guess im taking it to the puter dr

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think your power supply has tanked or your motherboard has failed...either way, the kids banging the keyboard had nothing to do with it.

HelloKitty05

HelloKitty05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, Guess I will take it off to the puter dr and pray it doesnt cost me a arm and a leg, I have already put enough money into this computer to many times to fix the lil things that keep on dying on it ..and its not even that old

glad to know the daycare kids didnt break it as I would hate to have to go round and round to get money out of the parents to fix it

HelloKitty05

HelloKitty05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
For the 9th Millionth Try again I took out the ram and swtiched the spots they were in and low and behold it works again...why it did work the first time i tried that who knows...dont care as long as it works and I dont have to shell out 300 bucks LOL Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it