Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows med. player

• Please log in to reply

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay, I'mma noob here so uh..... im gonna start by first asking help, what i need help in is the codec stuff....when i try to load my avi files what happens is that my player says it's requesting codecs then right after it says, "Error Downloading Codec" and it says i have a file with a "tag 85" sorta audio, I try to click the exclimation mark you see beside the vid if there is somthing wrong, but when i try to download the files i need, it says things like tag 85 not found, try.....blah balh balh, and i still can't find it. Is this number tag some kind reference thing? Please if you can help me E-mail me or just post. knowing anything would make me happy :tazz:

<big>Thanks<big>

Advertisements

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Oh i almost forgot, If you have any problems with downloading codecs I maybe able to help unless you have a problem like mine :tazz: Post up if ya need me!

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Sounds like you may need to update your codecs. Here are the 2 major ones that I know of:-
DivX Codecs

Xvid Codecs

Here is some more handy info on Codecs too :tazz:
CODECS-Glossary of terms

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Wow i guess i should say thanks, but then again my computer is probably the problem....I really appreciate the help..thanks again :tazz: wait.........what do i do if it still doesn't work?

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Read the above CODECS-Glossary of Terms. You should find most of the information you need there.

Edited by willow28, 29 June 2005 - 11:53 AM.

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks again...just one more thing

Does DivX and XviD work off one another?
I've got the latest player 6.0 i think, will that help?

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi again Night_Shift,

I get the same problems with codecs everytime there is a new update.

Its just a matter of finding out which codec has just updated that I need, and installing it.

As far as codecs are concerned... DivX and Xvid will install happily on your PC together just as long as you make sure that they are newer releases then the previously installed ones.

Make sure to uninstall any prior codec PACKS and install codecs seperatly, reboot after/between each installion.

Good luck,
Willow.

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank You Willow For Everything You Have Done For ME.
I did a scan with the registry fix found on this site.... apparently there have been some programs that were preventing my codecs to go through.......I OWE IT ALL TO YOU FOR HELPING ME AND THIS SITE FOR HAVING THE PROGRAM!!!!!!!:tazz:

THIS FORUM HAS NOW BEEN DISBANDED

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hey there,

Sorry for taking so long getting back to you...
But seems you've got everything sorted now anyway

Well done Night_Shift!!! :tazz:

Willow ;)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try this:
http://www.divxmovies.com/faq/#4.4