Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Displey adapter issues

• Please log in to reply

sixpack6t9

sixpack6t9

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm really hating life right now, since I had to format and install windows 2000 pro, instead of my beloved XP Pro. Now I have 16 colors, and alll of my coveted add-ons, upgrades and extras will not work. AAAAAAHHHHGGGG!

I made a couple of apps work, so far, and I'm getting a new copy of XP (my old copy was too corrupted to read on my cdrom, much less run installation or repair). I have ATI graphics on my HP Pavilion. Yes, I've tried the updates and drivers that HP.com has archived for this old N3110. 2000 won't allow me to install even the "standard" drivers. Every time I try, I get the old "IBM blue screen", memory dump and reboot to the same problems. All of the settings are grayed out, and no matter what I install, the add-hardware wizard either can't find the drivers, or says there are no drivers for my hardware in the folder.

My device properties says my monitor is "vgasave", and after I tried uninstalling it, disabling it in "Services", I then tried booting to the OS repair console and manually disabling "vgasave", and then << ENABLE ATI_BOOT_START >> and got the IBM blues again.

I will be reinstalling my XP in a day or two, but that doesn't change the fact that I want to know how to fix this problem, as if I wasn't going to reinstall XP. I'm least familiar with windows 2000 pro, and it must show here. So does anybody have some light, so I can see what I'm doing here? I may just wait to install XP until I figure this out.

Anyone? suggestions, comments or expletives?

Advertisements

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
The Memory Dump blue screen usually indicates a memory fault. Try re-seating the Ram.

You could also have no install windows properlly which could be creating the Drivers fault.