Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD temperatures

• Please log in to reply

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I was playing Empire Earth last night and my computer just shut off, no warning. The fan was running on high, though, so I started everest and kept an eye on the HDD temp (the only temp listed) when I restarted the comp & game. After the restart the HDD temp was low 50s C but during the game got up to 59C (nearly 140F). I checked with disk defrag and most of the drive was red. It's defragging now, but has any permanent damage been done (it's at 50C/122F now with nothing running but FF, Everest, and defrag)? It took forever to get into "my computer" and was being a pain in the [bleep] about moving and copying files.

Advertisements

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I got home from work a little while ago and checked on my laptop. HDD temp was at 65C/145F and the system was running very slow. Does it sound like my drive is going out? I have it off to cool down right now. I'll go back on in a while and try to salvage as much data that isn't backed up now. Does it sound like a malware prob? I'll get a HJT log later to have checked out.

If it matters:
Intel celeron 2.4GHz
768MB PC2100
drive in question is FUJITSU mht2030at

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
If your computer shut off then it will most likely be due to the processor overheating. You should try to find a program to find out your CPU temps if you can like Motherboard Monitor or some such.

No damage will have been done to your hard drive due to heat as such it just lowers its life. So if the drive is quite old already then it could be on the way out. You should always Defrag your hard drive as much as possible. I defrag once every 3 days to ensure no fragmentation.

You also have to bear in mind that laptops get very hot as it is and unfortunatly you cant just add another case fan or something like you can with desktops. A good way to see if a hard drive is going out the window is to listen for little scratches or clicks when the drive is loading. The louder and more apparent the clicks are the more chance the drive will be dying.

I would like to say also that anything above 60C for a Hard drive isnt good at all and very hot. As for the shutting off problem the hard drive temperature could be an indication of the temperature of the rest of your system. My CPU idles about 50C and the hottest my hard drive has been is 44C and atm its outside my case sitting on the table which is not good for airflow. So at a 65C hard drive temperature i would hate to think what the CPU temperature is.

If you wanted to lower your drive temp you could run it outside the case on a stand that provides airflow all around with a normal house fan blowing on it.