Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems with nearly every program

• Please log in to reply

raislam

raislam

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
most programs on my computer o longer work. they begin loading, and stop responding halfway through the loading screen...

the only programs that work are realplayer 7 basic, yahoo messenger, quickcam, and internet explorer which has a tendency to freeze after prolonged use.

windows media player, however, loads up, but wil freeze if i request to pay any files...

is this a memory problem? recently after runnin scandisk in DOS mode, my comp- discovered that i only have 64MB of RAM, not 224MB

is this a hardware problem? my video card's fan is broken and my pentium II's WAS broken till i put it bak together

is this a shared dll problem? i added dll and drv files to my computer when i installed my webcam, which is when the problems began occurring, however it was not this bad back then... most programs ran, now most programs wont run

please please please help :tazz: i've been asking forever now

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
ok, if you have any broken or non running fans then you need to replace these asap.

you have a memory problem if its only recognizing 64 instead of 256.

raislam

raislam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well i've always only had 64MB RAM... my comp always failed the memory test till recently...

and i dont kno how the video card's fan would affect the programs on my computer...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
it may not, but without proper cooling it can cause componet failure.

you can try and run memtest on your system to find out whats wrong with the memory. howver if this is a p2 system and its using pc100 then go and get another stick of ram (if you can still find it). should be cheap. anyway being a p2 system then you need to consider the value of replacing it. For example if it turns out that you have a bad slot on the system board then you won't have a choice but to replace the system.

bad memory can also cause lots of software corruption. Important to get this fixed because of that.