Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Server 2000

• Please log in to reply

shady_305

shady_305

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

Hope people can help with this, in a small office running server 2000 over about 10 workstations on a big 32 port switch. I would ideally like to connect an ADSL router to that network to share that connection to about 3 workstations.

I tried simply plugging in the ADSL to the switch via a network cable, however on server 2000 I can never get it to recognise it, from my understanding you have to get server 2000 to recognise the ADSL router in the routing section, correct? When I try to connect to 192.168.1.200 (ADSL router) it says it can’t find it??

DHCP is assigned from the switch I think, and it’s turned off on the ADSL router.

All the other workstation and server 2000 can connect to the ADSL router http admin part, but not on to the internet.

So what do I need to do? As you can probably tell I’m not particular good on server 2000, but I have a good all round knowledge of networking end-user O/S’s.

DHCP assigned 192.168.1.30 – 254.

Try and keep it simply, server 2000 is complexing to me.

Cheers very much!
Joe

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dhcp you think is assigned by the switch? This would be...very unusual. That is not what a switch does unless you have some funky hybrid, but I doubt it.

your adsl router is your gateway...determine your dhcp server and make sure the adsl routers ip address is the gateway address passed to your PCs

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I think his 2000 server is normally running the DHCP service, otherwise they won't be able to have this domain working.
you will need to set an internal static IP address for your ADSL router and point your machines into it as a default gateway.
look in the admin page of the router if it has DNS settings and populate those fields in the server, you can allow other machines to look at the server for DNS, hence add the server IP address into one of the entries in each machine.

shady_305

shady_305

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so all I really need to do is on each machine that I wish to access the internet, to set the ADSL routers internal IP (192.168.1.200) to the gateway of each machine?

At the moment each machine has a gateway set to 192.168.1.1 (server 2000 IP), will changing this value affect the network and the way things run? I'm a bit cautious as the network through the server 2000 as a centralised data and application store, runs all the accounting software to all the 10 machines, if it is changed will the way data is moved about be affected?

What really does the gateway value do?

I appreciate all the replies
Cheers
Joe