Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing 98 over 2000

• Please log in to reply

realapp

realapp

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Is it possible to intall Windows 98 over 2,00. I'm trying to do do, but whenI tried to format it says Format not supported on drive C: It says that the primary active partition is NTFS, but it also said that FAT 32, not supported, initially, however it gave me the option when I ran fdisk. I'm not real good at this so just winging it. Any suggestions, at what I'm doing wrong?Thanks!

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Did you upgrade from 98 to 2000 originally, or was it a full install of 2000?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I believe it was a full install. It's my brothers computer. Just trying to help him out. Blind leading the blind here!

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I have never done this myself, but because of the different file volume formats (NTFS,FAT32) you're going to need to use FDISK. Are you familiar with this at all?
Basically it's when you put a disk with FDISK on it and boot with it in the drive and It brings you to a volume formatting program. You can then format the drive and then boot with windows 98 disk and install. You will lose all saved data! You will need to make back up copys of everything that needs to be saved. Let me know if you want to execute this process and I will help you.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
So, you can't just fdisk like normal I'm assuming. I don't have a disk with fdisk on it. If you could help me I'm willing to try it!

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I'm going to try and find one on the web.
I found a program called Super Fdisk, but I need to check it out and see what it does. I think it makes a disk.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
How big is the hard drive?

-=jonnyrotten=-

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I'm not for sure. I can't access windows 2000. How can I tell? When I look at the partition. It says 9758 Mbytes. And I think the hard drive is 2,048k. I'm really bad at this!

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Are you in a dos mode? Is that what you mean by not being able to access win 2000?

-=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you're okay with losing any data on the drive, just get a Windows98SE bootdisk here: http://www.bootdisk.com

Use the disk to boot your computer, and at the prompt type fdisk

Here's a good guide: http://www.duxcw.com...grade/fdisk.htm

Advertisements

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I have the Windows 98 startup disk which is what I tried to do when I got the error. I did an fdisk. The reason I say I can't access Windows 2000 is because the computer was a throw away from an old business with a network apparantly and asks for a password. Don't know it so it won't let me access Windows. I don't care about the data, so not afraid to lose anything at this point.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Run fdisk, and delete any partitions on the disk. Next recreate a primary, and any extended partitions desired. ALL traces of Windows will then be gone. Format the drive and run setup. <_<

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
ok, duh! Don't know why I didn't think of that. will let you know! Sorry!

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Ok, I ran fdisk and it said there were no partitions to delete. so I went ahead and created a primary and am running setup. Windows is giving me a setup caution now that says. Setup detected Windows NT file system partition on your hard disk. Files on this partition will not be available whenyou use 98. Any ideas?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I'm assuming that it is seeing the windows 2000 files and saying you will not be able to access these files from 98 because 98 is on a FAT32 volume, and that windows 2000 os must be on a NTFS. Ntfs can read fat32, but fat32 cannot read ntfs. I think that maybe we could find a way to format that partiton so you can use it after installation.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<