Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

amd installation

• Please log in to reply

comptard

comptard

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi every1

ok heres my problem i just got all my parts for a computer im building and i got up to installing my amd 64 bit cpu and i put on the heat sink ( with thermal sticker ) but i cpouldnt get it on so i lifted it up off the cpu and put it back on and finally it clipped on to the motherboard. im scared of turning on my computer for fear of having the cpu fry .. should i take off the heatsink and put sum new thermal material on it?

also ummm i kinda pressed a little hard (a lot) on the heatsink and i might have damaged the cpu >< arrggg this is my first computer (building)

Edited by comptard, 29 June 2005 - 02:02 PM.

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hey no u wont be able to burn the chip out if the heatsink is not correctly seated then system will turn itself off almost spontaneously, as for pushing down to hard the worst you could do is damage the heatsink, providing the cpu was correctly seated in its socket, or possibly not a compasitor correcly but anyway power her up give her a whirl and see what she says.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I've seen a guy press so hard on his cpu he bent the pins. :tazz:

(It wasn't seated correctly)

I'd pull it off and take a look just in case. Otherwise should be fine.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yes but if the cpu is seated correctly in the socket it cant bend the pins can it einstein.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

yes but if the cpu is seated correctly in the socket it cant bend the pins can it einstein.

You don't have to be rude about it, I was merely sharing. :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yes and i was only having a laugh, just thought it was funny thats all.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

View Post

Have you seen first hand if the CPU is seated correctly?? Didn't think so..

Checking is NEVER a bad idea if more than average force was required !!!

Murray

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
"providing the cpu was correctly seated in its socket" which to me is checking is it not to you?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No..

Murray

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
well common sense would dicktate that it would but obviously some people were born without.

Advertisements

comptard

comptard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i made sure it was seatted before i put it on.

the heat sink clips just wouldnt clip on so i had to take it off and put it on the other way ( opposite clip first) im just afriad the thermal crap got messed up cuz sum was sticking to the cpu =/ sorry im just afraid i dont want to mess it up

can the computer tell if there is a themal material problem? i hope so :tazz:

heres a list of my stuff....

XION XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail

ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

GIGABYTE GV-N68T256DH-N Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail

CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS512MB400C3 - Retail

Maxtor Ultra Series Kits L01M080 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - Retail

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black - Retail

Edited by soxrok, 04 July 2005 - 09:29 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

as for pushing down to hard the worst you could do is damage the heatsink, providing the cpu was correctly seated in its socket

Unfortunately, this is not true - one can do much more damage. The one might be a little short on experience here but we need to give him/her a break - still in training. This is one of the reasons shims became quite popular with 462 CPU's.

possibly not a compasitor correcly

Yo, Einstien - could I get a translation. Am always interested in learning and don't have a clue what a "compasitor" is.

:tazz: ;) ;) :help: :help: :help: :yeah: :yeah: :tazz: :beer: :beer: ;) ;) ;) :) :) :rofl:

Edited by Rockster2U, 29 June 2005 - 06:21 PM.

comptard

comptard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
unfortunatly that doest help me at all rock :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok guys lets help comptard out and not bicker between us I seen a thread yesterday that start out similar, this helps no one and is alarming to see 2 in as many days.

Comtard, normally if you attach the hs (heatsink) with a thermal pad and remove it without starting the machine its ok to reattach using the same thermal pad BUT you mention it was disturbed in that part of it was sticking to the cpu so I would clean it off by very carefullly scraping it with a piece of credit card and getting the remainder off with rubbing alchol then apply new thermal paste perferably artic silver5 by following the directions on there web site.

When ever you have trouble installing a hs because of the pressure needed to clip it down its a good idea install the hs with the mobo out of the case to keep from flexing the mobo.

Rick

comptard

comptard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thx man

ive searched all over town we have no paste lol >< dam u alaska!

but nayways i turned it on and it didnt shut down so i turned it off. today ima check the bios n look at the temp of the cpu. whats a good base temp for that?