Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

amd installation

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ideal temps at idle such as when in bios is about 37c but don't get alarmed if you see 50c because some of these mobo sensors are inacurate just let it idle in bios and watch the temp if you see 60c then its time to shut down and reinstall themal paste.

Touch the base of the hs if you can hold your finger on it and it feels comfortabley warm then your ok, temp probly in low 40c if however you have to pull your finger away after 3 to 5 seconds then temp in mid 50c and thats no good at idle

Good idle temps are 37c to 42c and full load temp 55c to no more than 60c that is of course if the sensor is accurate thats why I alway do the finger test when first turning on a new build. A better way is to use a digital thermometer with its sensor placed at the base of the hs to get a handel on what the temps really are.

What mobo are you using?

Rick

Advertisements

comptard

comptard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
np dude about before (pm) but i just got everything installed...ram hdd ...etc. and im about to turn it on. im using an ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail. arrg im so nervous

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Doby gave you a good overview and instructions with a "real world" single digit temperature gauge - your own finger. I'd concur that once you are past the initial hurdles here, order some artic silver and pull the HSF and apply. Instructions are here. Long term you'll be happy that you did this vs a thermal pad.

:tazz:

comptard

comptard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I TURNED IT ON!!! and i didnt feel any heat at all...... total of like 5 fans ;) i got to bios and....nothing lol....all i need now is a copy of windows :tazz:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
haha im glad you got your computer running...www.newegg.com is running a deal for windows xp if you need

willo

willo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, this is my very first time on this type of thing...is it a blog? Anyhow I had exactly same problem today with AMD 3000xp CPU installation.....hadtouse considerable force to get the heatsink to clip in...then had the locking arm in wrong direction ( as it is almast impossible to control the thing....and although the heatsing feels very tight.....I am not sure everything is ok....not even sure anyone could get it back out. Couldn't boot the pC.....but maybe that was becuse of other stuff. So many cables and leads and so little infornmation.