Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Heatsink Mouting

• Please log in to reply

Redletter

Redletter

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK sounds kinda dum@$$ but i droped my comp out the back of a van and it broke the mouting clip for my CPU heatsink. Im not getting as good cooling as i used to and i need to fix it b4 my cpu fries....(it hit 200F the otherday when the heatsink just happened to fall off...) Anyways the qustion im asking is where do i get the replacement part or do i have to buy a whole new mobo...thanks and the pics are included ......The green is where the broken clip is....and the yellow is what is supposed to be there so that the clip can hold the heat sink down....if u need more pics or clarrification just tell me....The mobo is a OEM p4sd-la asus000_0746.GIF 000_0746.GIF

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You will have to contact the motherboard manufactuer for a replacement you should be able to get one and not have to replace the mobo. I had this happen to a couple dell's and got a replacement.

I would not run the computer till you get it fixed and you will have to clean and reapply thermal paste.

Rick

Redletter

Redletter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well i bought the comp from tigerdirect so im not sure if compaq will give me a new heatsink mount...anyways its running fine now that i [bleep] rigged it down with some string lol.... its running at about 140F stable....so its good till i get a new clip...thanks 4 the reply though...