Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

confused.com about making my homepage

• Please log in to reply

naive

naive

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!
Brothers n Sisters. A little help here.
I'm planning to host a website. But haven't got any clue about it. All I know is designing websites in frontpage. I was browsing to find out about it but got even more confused :tazz:
Apparently I have to buy domain... and buy webspace. DOnt know what it means... could somebdy be kind enuff to explain me from A to Z about hosting a website... like step by step of what I sould do. One more question: what is windows server and linux server. what difference do they make?

Thank u all

Naushad

Advertisements

ColonelPup

ColonelPup

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, first you should google for some good webhosts, check to see if it fits what you need..

When you look for a good host, make sure the amount of disk space (the amount of space you get) is the right amount of space. A good amount of bandwidth too (when a user goes to your site, their computer downloads images/files, etc.

You would also need to know how to work File Transfer Protocol (Transfer your files to your space) but you need to download an FTP client. http://www.smartftp.com - SmartFTP is really good to use.

Linux servers are better than Windows servers. That's practically the most I know about what server to use :tazz:

If you need more explained, just ask meh.

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
A domain is the address that users type into their browsers instead of a confusing IP address. Hosting space is the amount of space you buy on a hard drive on a specific server configured to work on the web, and transfer is the amount of data you are alotted to transfer in a specific time period. The more people that come to the site, the more traffic.

Before you buy hosting, get set up with a free host that offers FTP and play around a little. Get comfortable with everything.

Instead of using frontpage, why not opt for Dreamweaver?

Linux most certainly is NOT better than Windows. It depends on the method of deployment. Its kinda hard to run an ASP.Net based site in Linux. Personally, I choose Windows. Everything from XP and later(including server 2003) is very well done. A MAJOR hospital uses Windows XP SP2 pro to run the Cyberknife tumor dissipation system. Never done them any harm.

Shop around in hosting. iPowerweb is really cheap hosting for both Linux based PHP and Windows based ASP. Some think that Linux is the buy all, end all solution for web developers but this is simply not the case. Windows has many times to global compatibility of Linux and isn't that the web designers main goal? Compatibility?

Windows is notorious for security issues because most of the computer world uses Windows. Meaning, there are more hackers that program virus', trojans, spyware, adware, etc for windows. Considering that hackers are always 10 steps ahead of Security, I say that Windows is pretty secure. It depends on what you use. My Linksys router has never failed me.

If you want an absolute step by step, here it is.
1.Create your website and test it on your local computer. Get it working first
2.Upload this site to a free host to get used to the tools of the trade and to gain traffic
3.Once you start outgrowing the free host, shop around for the best host that will best serve you.
4.Maintain your site. This is very important. Sites that don't get updated, tend to die rather fast.
5. Promote your site. Within limits. Any site needs to be promoted to a degree to get people to come to it.
6.Think of expanding the site to other areas to fit a broader spectrum of viewers
7.Advertise. Alot of webdesigners choose to put advertisements up on their website to help out with revenue. If you do choose to do this, use Google Adwords. Flashing graphic banners and popup ads are a deterrant from returning to your site.