Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux and Windows

• Please log in to reply

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
This forum is about linux and windows.
A few of my friends started using Knoppix(a type of Linux they say)
But what I wana know is, Why Linux? :tazz:

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Linux is a good operating system... people claim that it's more secure and stable than Windows (and it may be, but not for the reasons they claim). See, Windows 9x(Me) gave Microsoft a really, really bad name. They were revolutionary, but buggy as [bleep]. I haven't had many stability problems with 2000/XP, but the security is a concern.

The problem a lot of people (including my with my first foray into Linux) have is that Linux is not easy to do. It isn't Windows. Microsoft, for all their faults, have absolutely mastered drivers and hardware installation. It's brain-dead in XP. Linux requires... more work. Programs don't necessarily install as easily and "root" is absolutely terrifying at first.

It's a good system and it's always nice to help the little guy along. Knoppix is a good system, so is Fedora or Mandrake (or whatever they call themselves now). I started off on Linspire (Lindows) and it was enough to get me hooked.

I still use XP quite a bit and still like it quite a bit. I love my Linux, too. I'm rare that way. Play around with it if you have a spare PC or the desire to dual boot. Be prepared to be slightly/significantly confused for a while, though.

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Alright, Thanks for that! :tazz: