Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Picked my processor now I need a mobo

• Please log in to reply

newbie09

newbie09

• Pip
  • 7 posts
have decided to go with the AMD 4400 x2 for my processor. I would now like your input on the motherboard. I plan to spend $2000 on the whole system. I was thinking about a SLI board even though I only plan to run one card at the moment. I was thinking about going with the ASUS A8n Deluxe. It has some good reviews. Any reason to choose something different.

Advertisements

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hmmm... If you are going to go SLI you need to get both cards at the same time because of compatibility.

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
get the dfi lanparty NF4 Sli-DR mobo because i good value and overclocks well
p.s the x2 4400 is crap for gaming get a fx 55 or fx57 (if you can afford it)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if they get the dual core support out for pc games you will see an advantage games at the moment are all 32 bit affairs so it wouldnt be that bad an idea to get a x2 if you get a good cooling solution you can clock it up and it will run games as good as most high end amd 64s.
Single cards are always going to be that bit better than another card down the line. EG all those people who bought a pair of 6800 ultras as they thought it would be just as good as the 7800 when it came out and didnt have the patience will be kickin themselves as they paid alot of more money and arent as fast as they could have had with only one 7800gtx.
The new ati cards will also be good ATIs new high end card will have 42 pipelines apparently.

If you dont plan on overclocking the DFI board isnt the one for you it is a bit of a beast and as such can be a bit temperamental: at least so says the word on the street. I dont know how much experince you have but a more all rounder idiot proof board might be for you, with dfis you also pay more for the fact it looks so [bleep] good which if you dont have a window really is a waste.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Also...I believe you need to buy registered RAM..I may have to check on that one

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
only skt 940 needs reg ram

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I remeber reading something about the x2s needing registered ram actually, it doesnt really cost anymore its just a bit harder to get hold off.

mikejp3

mikejp3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I agree the Asus AN8 SLI Deluxe to be a good choice, but the latest Premium version allows you to change between single & sli modes via software instead of having to open the case, has fanless/heatpipe chipset cooling, and of course allows the opportunity of paying a little more for it. I also appreciate the idiot proof/auto overclock/benchtest bit of the whole series.

Also have to agree that if you're an impatient bleeding edge gaming tweaker, go DFI & FX. However, if you love games and also fancy a bit of video editing and photoshopping, I'd go for the X2. I also suspect that the X2 you have in mind will outperform the FX55/57 in major game releases in 12 months.