Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard to connect using dial-up

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Often (most of the time) when my computer tries to connect to the internet it takes several tries. Always giving a timed out error "The remote computer did not respond in a timely manner)" Is this the fault of the ISP? It used to not be so bad. Only advice I got from their tech rep was to decrease modem speed to 57,600 - Half). Was this good advice? It didn't seem to matter. Any other settings I can look at?

Advertisements

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
you have dial up right? okay well... not much of help but, you could possibly be interfering with traffic (phonecalls and all that) :tazz:

I'm not really shure if im right or wrong, but at least i did something to help

take it frome me, I'm just a kid, what do I know?

well good luck at it,
Night_Shift

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Some things to try.

First Do you have any static on the phone line. If so call phone company to do a test for line noise.

How long is the phone cord? If longer than 6ft this can cause problems. Remove any splitters or surge protectors from the line.

Lowereing the port speed down to 57600 is a good idea. You may also try lowering your fifo buffers.

You can als try the init string of
s10=255
After entering this in if you get any kind of hardware failure or any wierd error take the init string out.

Hope this helps.

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Try the following:
Go to the modem's web site (if it's a stand alone modem) and download the latest firmware. Firmware is NOT drivers it's like updating the bios on a computer.
If it's a name brand computer (dell, gateway, packard bell), go to their website and see if they offer any updates.

Try three commas ,,, after the phone number this will bypass the 56k and sometimes offers a better connection.

If all else fails try number one again. Look in device manager and see what type of modem you have or call the puter manufacturer and ask them. Get the latest firmware from the modem's site and install it.

Also are you running Win98? If so, dun and the tcp/ip stack has a bad habit of fubaring itself. If you have more questions or problems, just post them. Working at an ISP for two years had it's advantages.

Edited by BobWerner, 01 July 2005 - 10:26 AM.

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Usually commas tell the modem to pause before initating the hand shake.

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Mmm ... I would say ..

Get cable. ;x

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I agree, less problems, less of a hassle :tazz:

wright3279