Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Router dropping connection! please help!

• Please log in to reply

kalaniwavo

kalaniwavo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok... I don't know alot about computers but I have recently set-up 2 computers on a network via a router... but both computers will occasionally drop the internet connection. I never once had this problem with just one computer running straight to the modem. I have called Belkin Tech support. They ran me through the motions... and finally said it was a faulty router. I exchanged the router and still have the exact same problem. They have no clue....

Now, the only way to get the connection back is to re-start the affected computer. Re-setting the router, cycling power to the modem/router does nothing. Also each computer will drop the connection independent of the other one so you know... one computer will lose the internet and the other might not until 6 hrs. later.

Either way I am getting sick of restarting my computer to play on the net. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!! I am about to pull my hair out

Thanks
Nick

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
do you get any error message (like duplicate IP addresses?) you need to set your router as a DHCP server and set both machines to take their IP address from the router, hence don't specify a static IP address. Set everything to Automatic withint the network settings of your connection.

kalaniwavo

kalaniwavo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Already jumped through that hoop. Both computers are grabbing a different IP and as far as I can tell the settings and IP addresses remain the same before and after it loses the connection... I can find nothing on either the computer or the router that changes once the connection is lost. Thanks for the reply though. I appreciate it!
Nick

I am begining to think I received 2 faulty routers. Is this common with routers or Belkin products? Seems odd I would get 2 faulty in a row that do exactly the same thing..you know?

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, lets look at what you have got.....

Two independant systems grabbing a different IP addy and working sporadically....
The common links are the router, since both connect to it, and the modem itself...

Lets start at the source...

I am assuming that you have either DSL or Cable Modem... but that is not really that important, just that you have an always active connection... Check the source wire for intermittant connection... (ie phone jack: cable connections....

Check that the modem is not over heating If is too hot to keep your hand on (it can be warm) then you will need to rearrange it so it can stay a little cooler.

The wire that goes from the modem to the router (usuall a twisted pair RJ45 connecting cable) is not unsually bent or binding that might cause the connection to drop.

You have not indicated if the router is wireless or wired, but I will go with wired
Check the wires from the router to the individual computers for the same conditions, make sure the wires or connectors are not excessively bent. ( I threw away a perfectly good router and went throught two other ones before I found out the cable was the problem)

Check that the router is not getting excessively hot. (same criteria as the modem)

If the new router exhibits the same symptoms as the old router, I would check the modem. Most providers will glady exange it for you.

Please chack all items above in the order written.

Good luck.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I remember this happened to me once and it ended up that my cable modem had just seen it's day. Road Runner replaced it for me free of charge. Try having your ISP replace it for you, doesn't hurt to have a new one anyways :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)