Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

learn

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi
I would like to know how to write software? what would be a good program to use to do it that free and easy to use for some one that dose not know how to write the software? any tips on code? and what is the code that i have to know.

I want to make simple things insted of trying to find them all the time.

Advertisements

yeohhs

yeohhs

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi
  I would like to know how to write software? what would be a good program to use to do it that free and easy to use for some one that dose not know how to write the software?  any tips on code? and what is the code that i have to know.

I want to make simple things insted of trying to find them all the time.

View Post

What kind of simple things do you want to make?

There are many compilers that you can use to make programs. Also, are you using Windows or Linux or other operating systems?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I would like to know how to write software? what would be a good program to use to do it that free and easy to use...

Whoa! You said a mouthful. It takes a bit of dedication to actually write a piece of code, complie it, run it, and get it to work.

First you will need a text editor(Notepad is fine), then a complier to check for syntax errors, and a linker to build the program. Compilers and linkers are easy to find but alot of the free ones don't work very well, IMO.

If I were you, I would try using C++ first. I'd start by picking up a book on C++ (I own 3 and C++ for Dummies is the easiest one to understand) and read through it. Some books will even have an introductory piece of software that will include everything you need to write your own programs.

This may require more effort than what you were planning on. If it is, then I hope someone has a better idea. ;)

Good luck! :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have got windows it that helps. I am will ing to sit down and read how to do it for a few hundren hours and then spend weeks to write what I want. where can I find a book that says how (in electronic format if you know one). and where is a place that you would advise geting C++ form. The thing that I want to make a things like software that changes slide shows to screensavers with out $150 price tags, converts a list of pictures to MPGE-2 format, etc. and also fix bugs on my computer. And most importantly I do not like it when there is a thing that I can not do and am interested in even if i never write software I want to know how others do it. :tazz:

yeohhs

yeohhs

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have got windows it that helps.  I am will ing to sit down and read how to do it for a few hundren hours and then spend weeks to write what I want.  where can I find a book that says how (in electronic format if you know one).  and where is a place that you would advise geting C++ form.  The thing that I want to make a things like software that changes slide shows to screensavers with out $150 price tags,  converts a list of pictures to MPGE-2 format, etc.  and also fix bugs on my computer.  And most importantly I do not like it when there is a thing that I can not do and am interested in even if i never write software I want to know how others do it. :tazz:

View Post

If you are using Windows operating system, you might want to check out C#. C#, IMHO is easier to learn than C++.

Check out Visual C# Express Edition Beta 2. You can download it from here:
http://lab.msdn.micr...rp/default.aspx

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Thank you that is what I wanted (it give me ascess to free online books too).