Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network connection drops after ~5 minutes

• Please log in to reply

GoCubsAndSox

GoCubsAndSox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed a D-Link USB 2.0 / Firewire combo PCI adapter. After the reboot, XP with SP2 found the new hardware and (I assume) updated some drivers. Anyway, my network connections showed both a 1394 and Local area connection. I have DSL and connect with a USB cable. After the new hardware updates finished everything was working. I could connect my digital camcorder and transfer data using firewire and I was able to get email and surf. However, after about 5 minutes my internet connection dropped and I could no longer get mail or surf. I rebooted and the same thing happened after about 5 minutes. I've tried putting the DSL connector to both a 2.0 and 1.1 USB port but get the same result. I went to the D-Link website and downloaded their latest drivers but that didn't fix the problem either.

Thanks for any help.
-Steve

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
check your Device Manager and see if there are any problems with any devices, try to re-install that device manually without the detection method of XP.

GoCubsAndSox

GoCubsAndSox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I checked Device Manager and doing the "Repair this connection" but that didn't do anything. I'm not sure what you mean by re-install that device manually. Can you elaborate?

Some additional info: when I remove the card the problem still persists. The only way to get my connection to stay is to roll back my system using Norton GoBack.