Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router problems

• Please log in to reply

aaroncg

aaroncg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My problem is that when i run the wire from the modem to the router then a wire to the computer the connection is lost. But if i take the router out and run it from modem to the computer the conection is good. I took the router to a friends, and hooked it up, and it word fine. I have replace the wires and still have the same problem. Modem works, router works, wires work, and the computer works. I'm lost. Please help! :tazz:

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you need to set the router as your default gateway, its looking at the IP address for the modem for its gateway. You can change that in the properties of your network connection.

aaroncg

aaroncg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry don't know much about computers. I went to network connections and then to properties and could not find anything about gateways and the only thing about ip i saw was internet protocol. I feel dumb, but i need a walkthrough.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Are you using cable or dsl? This topic will more than likely require a lot more information. If you are using DSL, then I ran into a very similar problem today. Yes, it's fixed. For some reason, the one I did today, when plugged from modem to computer, then it would automatically receive the correct IP information, which by the way, was a DHCP address assigned by the modem, not the ISP. When I plugged into the WAN port on the router, it would not automatically assign the IP to the router(it may have been the fact that the address the modem was assigning was on the same network scheme as the routers internal address.) Make a long story short, I manually entered the information into the WAN interface of the router, then changed the network address of the LAN. Renewed the IP addresses of each machine to the new LAN address, and boom, up and running.

Greazy Mcgeezy