Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Ram

• Please log in to reply

DJLH

DJLH

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello, I Have A Gigabyte GA-8S648FX Motherboard, Which Had 512mb Ram, I went out and brought x2 1GB DDR Ram, and now my computer keeps crashing every 10-15 seconds, it does not even make it into windows, can someone please help me, do i have to change my bios or something....Help

Thanks

Lee Harding

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
first see if you have bought the correct RAM with the correct speed. See if your motherboard does support this speed.
See if your motherboard does support that much RAM.
Have a look at the specification for your motherboard and compare it to you RAM.

DJLH

DJLH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok..this is from the manual...

Memory — 3 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
— Supports DDR400 */DDR333/DDR266 DIMM
— Supports Up to 2 un-buffer DIMM DDR333 or up to 3 un-buffer
Double-sided DIMM DDR266
— Supports up to 3GB DRAM (Max)
— Supports only 2.5V DDR DIMM

And the Ram i got is: 2x 1GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Dimm Memory

Any Help!!!

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Are you using your new 2x 1GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Dimm Memory in combination with your old memory? If so, I would take out the old stuff and leave only the new memory in.

-E

DJLH

DJLH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
no, not using the old memory with the new, just wanna run the 2GB of ram.......but it's still a no go

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
you have 2 sticks of each 1gb? Try 1 stick of 1 gb first.

-E

DJLH

DJLH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
tried that........still not booting!!!!

i hate computers!!!

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
what is the speed for your RAM?

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Remember the good old times when we just used a flat tipped blade to pry out the memory from the socket where the pins were bent over? ahhh those were the days....

Have you checked the voltage of you newly acquired RAM. You match speed and size all you want.. but if the voltage is not the same, your system will fail.

Also most MBs have autodetecting systems for drives memory cpus and the like, but just for safety's sake, go into your bios (an upgrade ususally never hurts) and see if it can support 2 gigs of RAM.

I know I need not mention that if the ram is not properly seated, it won't work either.

more options available.

Good luck.

DJLH

DJLH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
how do i find out what voltage the ram is...........i now have 1 of the 1GB's working....but when i go to put the other one in.....it halts!!!

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
should be on the packaging. (most of the time....)

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
plus what is the PSU is it 230 or 400?? can your MOBO support the spped and are the memory the same speed???

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I found few times that a faulty memory slot can cause such problems. try to take the module that worked well and install it in the other slot. If it works well take it out and try both slots with the other module. If all is working well then you know that the slots and each of the modules are OK. In this case it seems that either the modules are not identical and therefore not compatible or your memory controller is giving the troubles.