Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video/movie help

• Please log in to reply

akihitochan

akihitochan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I recently reformatted. I've gotten everything set up to my liking for the most part now, everything's working great, except...
Everytime I try and watch any kind of movie, it's extremely faded and mostly white, as if the colors were all screwed up. I've tried Winamp, WMP, MPlayer (which has run every kind of movie I've ever found flawlessly), and DivX. I've looked for multiple kinds of codecs, although I'm fairly sure that's not the problem (and needless to say, nothing's fixed it).
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, didn't see anywhere anymore appropriate. Thanks in advance! :tazz:

Edit: I reinstalled my video card using an older version of the nVideo Geforce drivers, after reading somewhere on the forums of someone having the exact same problem with a GeForce FX that was just a little older than mine, and now it works great. I'm sure before I reformatted, I was a little behind on my drivers. Perhaps it's a problem with those drivers for the older FX cards, not sure. Anyways, thanks for everyone's help!

Edited by akihitochan, 30 June 2005 - 10:37 PM.

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Try your screen quality settings and your colors. Desktop>right mouse button>properties>settings. Look in there and change some things and see if it helps any. If that doesn't work, I would try reinstalling my video card driver.

-E

Edited by S A A B, 30 June 2005 - 04:39 AM.

akihitochan

akihitochan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've messed around with it before, and took your suggestion on reinstalling the drivers, nothing's changed. :\

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey there,

Straight from the hip, my concern is you graphics card. You have not stated what kind of card you have that might not be able to process the streaming video required.

This is of course assuming that you can see regular views on your system, and even gaming ( which uses OPEN GL, or DIRECTX)

Since you have used diferent types of viewing software, and no reason to think they don't work (based on the fact that others use it and it does) we can eliminate the viewing software from the equation.

Since the source material is viewable ( based on your statement that you have viewed it on another's system) we can eliminate the source material from the equation.

Since you have no other problems with your system (or none that you have told us about), the only thing left is your video card.

How much memory on the card? Is it an accelerator, 3d, onboard, AGP, PCI?

My suggestion would be to do this, Go to the control panel-Device manager and select display adaptors, and remove it.

Shut windows down, then bring it back up. ( don't panic, you will be in 256 color (possibly 16 color) and in 640 by 480 mode).
Window will probably detect your hardware ( video card) and ask you for the driver disk.
Go from there.

If after all this, it still does not work, see if you can install another card and try to run your videos, if they do the same thing, the problem is something else.

If the videos run with the alternate card, "BINGO" you found your problem.

Good luck.

akihitochan

akihitochan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't believe it's the video card, because it worked beautifully before I reformatted, and it's an nVidia GeForce FX 5700LE. But reinstalling it so to speak wouldn't hurt anything, so I'll give it a shot.