Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows MediaPlayer starts at bootup

• Please log in to reply

RickJ_3

RickJ_3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, SP2, with Windows Media Player Version 9. After upgrading to Version 9, the Media Player now starts up automatically every time I boot the system.

There are no shortcuts to wmplayer.exe in any of the user Program Startup menus. I've checked all the Registry's "Run" keys and did not see any entry for wmplayer.exe. I looked up the names of the various programs that run as processes in my system and verified that they should be running as part of the system.

My email provider blocks all messages containing executable attachments before they get to me. I run Symantec Antivirus with continual updates of the virus definition files. I'm behind a hardware router and a software 2-way firewall (AtGuard).

What else should I do to prevent WMP from auto-starting? Thanks.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
* start > run > msconfig > startup > uncheck the entry for WMP

* Read here to determine which startup is legitimate and not:
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html

* Please download Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4. Mode > Advance Mode > Tools > Startup List > uncheck or delete the startup entry you do not wish to run.

* please read this
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

RickJ_3

RickJ_3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply, but:

- I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, not XP. Thus, I do not have msconfig on my system.

- I have accessed the registry directly using "regedit" and confirmed that there are no "Run" keys on any tree that point to wmplayer.exe.

- I run current version of both SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware and, except for some cookies (which I delete), they find no malicious objects.

I always thought that, in order for a program to start upon bootup, the registry must contain that program in its "Run" key somewhere. wmplayer.exe does NOT appear anywhere in such keys. Is there some OTHER place (besides services) where the system goes to find which applications to start?

I can post a HiJackThis log file if needed.

humphrey884

humphrey884

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I would suggest you try to uninstall windows media player and if that does'nt work I would try a windows system repair

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm using W2000 Pro also. I copied msconfig onto a floppy from a XP machine and transfered it to my W2000 machine. Works great....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
You might want to upgrade to sp4.....

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
read here http://www.bootdisk.com

=====================

with regards to spybot s&d, you dont need to run the scan. Just follow the instructions I gave you on post # 2 of this thread with regards to startup list.

Edited by kool808, 30 June 2005 - 04:55 PM.

RickJ_3

RickJ_3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

... follow the instructions I gave you on post # 2 of this thread with regards to startup list.

I appreciate the advice about using various tools to turn off the WMP startup option, but ...

My Windows Registry does NOT contain an entry to run Windows Media Player upon startup.

Yet, it starts up on boot; that's the problem. Thanks anyway.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
download and install Tune Up Utilities, a trial version. Go to Clean Up & Repair > Tune Up registry cleaner.

==================

Download and install Cleanup, then run.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

Sorry I'm late...I have the solution to your problem buddy.

Yes, you can install MSCONFIG (the Microsoft Configurator), but that won't help you here. You can run a hijack this log, but it wont find your problem either. Why, because the command to start Windows Media Player 9 is in the only place of the registry that Hijack This doesn't scan.

From the registry, go here:

HKEY_Local_Machine / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / POLICIES / Explorer / Run

Let us know how this works out for you. :tazz:

Thanks,

Magus

poorak

poorak

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Have you tried changing the settings in WMP ....it might work.....
If you are facing the probllem then also try error nuker , tune up utility etc.....

RickJ_3

RickJ_3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

From the registry, go here:

HKEY_Local_Machine / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / POLICIES / Explorer / Run

Let us know how this works out for you.  :tazz:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Magus, that did the trick. Nice and clean bootup without the Media Player popping up.

Not only did my problem get solved, I learned something as well: check the registry's POLICIES as well as the startup keys.

Thanks again, Magus, for the expert help. I really appreciate it.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

I always thought that, in order for a program to start upon bootup, the registry must contain that program in its "Run" key somewhere.

RickJ_3 - Glad you got your problem taken care of and am excited to hear that you're so enthusiastic about learning something new. Actually, you'd be amazed at how many ways a program can be configured to run at startup. It blows my mind away to think about it.

Again, I'm glad your problem was taken care of and happy I could be of service to you.

Magus

umpire

umpire

• Pip
  • 7 posts
magusbuckley - Thanks Dude
I learned something good today. . . :tazz: