Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

btlcry

btlcry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, so I'm building a new computer. Actually it was built and running. I played some BF2, went to dinner, came home and it was running but non-responsive. Nothing on the monitor at all. The mobo has an external temp display and it was hotter than it should've been. 180ish F. Reset it and it wouldn't reboot. Figured, I hadn't installed much, so I got a new fan, some Artic Silver. Installed the new fan and went to re-install Windows. Did the full re-format and when it's 'Creating a list of the files to copy' it gets to DISKCOPY.DLL and says it can't be found on the CD. This is the same CD I installed with two days before. The disk has some marks on it, but not that bad. I tried another, unopened copy of Windows I have and get the same thing. So it's not the couple of tiny scratches on the first CD. I've tried a couple of times, and sometimes it gets stuck on DMBOOT.SYS instead. The only things installed are the motherboard, processor, memory, video card, CD drive and hard drive. Here are the specs:

Abit AA8XE 3rd eye motherboard
P4 3.2 ghz 775 pin
2 GB dual channel DDR2 533 Mhz
MSI 6800 GT card
WD 80GB SATA hard drive
Lite-On 52x CD burner
Windows XP SP1a OEM (both CD's I tried)

Everything is recognized by the board and is running at all stock speeds. I'm not OC'ing. On the plus side, it's running about 30*C cooler. I tried Google, but couldn't really find anything that referred to this problem with installation. Only if the one installed becomes corrupt.

I'm at a lose and would greatly appreciate any help.

-Mike

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, when you say unoped copy of windows XP, is this an original Win. XP CD or is this a burned copy?

--Chris

btlcry

btlcry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Both were legit OEM copies. I'm up and running now. Seems one of the sets of DDR2 was bad. Once I removed it, I had no more problems.

-Mike