Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ASUS MOBO PC sporadically won't power up

• Please log in to reply

COS

COS

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am building a PC and I have developed a VERY frustrating problem. Sometimes the PC powers up and boots perfectly. However, sometimes the PC will not power up; no POST; nothing. When it acts up here’s the scenario: I flip the power supply switch on in the back, the green light on the MOBO comes on and stays on. Then when I hit the power button on the front of the PC, all the PC lights come on and the fans start to spin for about a second, and then NOTHING. Regardless of whether I hold the button in or just “push and release” the same thing happens – lights and fans for 1 second then NOTHING. The green MOBO light stays on thru the whole thing. The problem is sporadic – most evenings the PC will boot fine. I can work for 3 - 4 hours; I can even cold boot 4 or 5 times during the session and it will boot fine EVERY time. Then the next morning; NOTHING (as described above). Sometimes, if I’m lucky after 10 minutes of hitting the power button it will boot. I have already replaced the power supply thinking I got a bad one; but the problem REMAINED. I have even updated the BIOS because I read of boot problems with XP SP2. That didn’t hurt nor did it help.

I am so frustrated, and I’ve spent days trying to trouble shoot this. I am ready to throw the whole box out the 2nd story window. I hope someone can help me! Thanks!

Specs:
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MOBO (BIOS V 1007)
THERMALTAKE ATX 480W Power Supply
EZ Media 737 Mid Tower Gaming Case
Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3GHz Socket 478, 1 MB Cache
4x512MB DDR400 PC3200 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB SATA w/ 8MB buffer
Radeon 9250 128MB DDR Video Card w/TV-out & DVI

Advertisements

galactaphonic

galactaphonic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having a very similar problem with my Asus P4S800D-X which started about a week ago. Though it only powers up very rarely for me and only for about 15 mins at a time.

I was also occasionally getting a 'overclocking failed' error message even though I hadn't overclocked the CPU at all. I reset the bios and cleared the CMOS but to no avail.

I would also love to hear any suggestions what's causing the problem - my guess would be the motherboard or maybe the CPU are stuffed though both are pretty new (I only put the motherboard in about 3 months ago...)

COS

COS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
This problem caused me such a headache, that I took the box to my local PC shop and let them deal with it. At some point, the time I was spending was (is) what I'll pay experts to troubleshoot. I don't have the box back yet, but the shop thinks its the mobo and for ~ $120 I'll bite the bullet for a new one. I think those boards must be faulty. The ASUS support isn't worth anything either.

I wish I had better news for you. When the final diagnosis comes back - I'll post again.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea I would also think its something with the mobo, please keep us posted

Rick

WayneThornton

WayneThornton

• Pip
  • 8 posts
see my post "problems after power outage" sporadic and I too have an asus motherboard

John V

John V

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently had a very similar problem. It either would not power up or would shut down or restart randomly. In troubleshooting, I virtually replaced or substituted every component except the CPU over a period of a week. As a last resort, I cleared the CMOS and while doing so I found that the header was loose on the jumper. I had to bend the jumper pins to make the header fit snugly. I have not had a problem since then and it appears that tthe jumper or header was the problem. Hope this helps. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well John V that is a very good suggestion and something that is either never considered or just overlooked when working remotely.

That is why working remotely is so hard because you are not actually there to see whats going on.

I too have experianced the bad/loose jumper thing but fail to suggest it when replying, I will remember now.

Again good suggestion Rick