Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting Up a Large Network

• Please log in to reply

Teke

Teke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm new on the board. I came here because I have some questions regarding setting up a large network. I'm a business major in my junior year, looking to start up a business. What I would like to do is have a business setting up wireless networks for apartment buildings. I have somewhat of a knowledge of wireless networking, but not on this scale. Besides the business logistics, where do you think I can get information on performing this task, which equipment to use, and how much it will cost for th equipment? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that one is awkward, because for it all to be legal the appartment complex would have to be the ones purchasing the internet connection and billling the tennants. and the hardware would be dictated by the layout of the building. but basically you would need a highspeed connection, a wireless router, probably a server, and wireless access points throughout the building

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Also, you will have to look at this from the access standpoint. If you are broadcasting wireless for an apartment building, unless you use special signal blockers on the outside corners of the building, then ANYONE can use this system without even being charged rent, services, or other. I will tell you this, it sounds to me like you are getting yourself into a WHOLE BOATLOAD more than you are anticipating. I understand that you have the entire business sense of this thing under control, but when it comes to the technical side, you are looking at broadcasting wireless signal accross a large area, and then having to set the filter to allow only paying customers. This boils down to pretty much 2 technologies. You could consider the idea of using an encryption method, but then a tennant has a buddy and says, "Oh, well uh, they just told me to put this in and it worked...", then the buddy is getting your wireless. Or the other option would be to set the MAC filters to only allow the MAC addresses of the tennants that give you their MAC address. That would be more likely to do, but in a large set of buildings, you would have to make sure that each customer would have the access to the closest/strongest access point. Or, if you wanted to be mobile around the complex, enter the MAC addresses of each customer, into each filter so they could pick up any of them. Even with all that aside, you would have to worry about someone installing their own wireless access point or router to set up their own little LAN in their apartment. Ok, if an IP address scheme comes into play that is incorrect because of user, or of another tennant starts picking up their network instead of yours, then you have customer complaints all day long.
I apologize for the ramble, but that is only a very small portion of the work you will be putting into a project of that sort.

Greazy Mcgeezy