Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems after new video card

• Please log in to reply

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I bought a radeon 9250 video card a few days ago, and after installing it worked fine. The next day my computer started randomly reseting, and in the error report i found that my computer had recovered from a serious error that was caused by the video card. The day after that it reset again and wouldn't boot up at all. I ended up reformating my computer and after that eveything worked fine for a few days. Last night it crashed again and wouldn't boot up. I disconnected everything and when i reconnected it this morning it strangely worked. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem. And I forgot, it never had problems like this before I replaced the video card.

Edited by Darryl, 30 June 2005 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try disconnecting everything except your hd and video card inside the box and see if it boots and stays up fine....you may be sucking too much power off the PSU

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Good point dsennette...do you know how many watts average or peak that your power supply can have? And if it is little, you can use this tool to see if you need more power (remember, the marks from this site are from when every component is needing maximum power, which will never happen, so your power supply will still work even if the number it gives you is about 75 watts higher.:

http://www.jscustomp...r.php?cmd=INTEL

Peace,
Jared

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. If you just installed the new video card without cleaning up the drivers for the previous card, this could be the cause and it is easy to eliminate. Make sure you have the current driver for your new card available for install. Then go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and get Driver Cleaner (it is free). Then go to add/remove programs and delete the current driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. You should also repeat the process to clean out the driver of the PREVIOUSLY installed video card. Then reboot and install the current driver for your new video card. If this does not solve the problem, work on the other possibilities.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well it just restarted again and won't restart. And now that I think about it last time it reset and wouldn't boot up again I left it sit unplugged overnight and the next morning it ran fine. So Im supposeing it was caused by heat, which would explain why it started the next day after it cooled overnight. What would be the best way manage the heat and prevent random restarts?

I don't think its heat anymore. I left it unpluged for 2 hours and it wouldn't boot up. But I did go into BIOS and when i exited that it booted up right. What on earth is goin on?!?!

Edited by Darryl, 01 July 2005 - 03:32 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You should start by making sure all of your fans are working. Good idea to make sure the inside of the case is clean as well. Blow it out with some canned air. Fan at the front of the case should be pulling air into the case, fans at the back should be blowing it out. Pay particular attention to the CPU fan and heatsink. Make sure there is no dust accumulated in there. Canned air is best for getting dust out of these.

Here is a forum that has a section dedicated to cooling
http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=18
Check out the sticky posts at the top.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
The heatsink was already cleaned when the video card was installed. The back fan is blowing, but is really dusty.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Could you list your system specs?
Could you list your temps and voltages as reported in bios?
I am beginning to think its a psu problem
Have you tried austin_o and lionelhutz5 sugestions they are very good?

I will be going away tomarrow for a week but this info may help the other guys

Rick

Edited by Doby, 01 July 2005 - 08:03 PM.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
According to the link LionalHutz posted, I should need 182w, maybe a little more or less as some of the answers i was unsure about or my exact component was not there. I downloaded the DriverCleaner and I'm going to run it in a minute and I will edit my post when I'm finished.

Hmm, im a bit uneasy about running that, I'd rather have that as a last resort. I started and uninstalled my ATI drivers and I'm tryin to reinstall them now and having trouble with my rom drive :tazz:

Edited by Darryl, 01 July 2005 - 08:48 PM.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I think your observation on my psu undepowered may be correct. When i looked at the label on the side it said ac 115w/230w so im not sure if it is 115 watts or 230 watts, but if it was 115w it would be underpowered by 2 watts if you consider the maxium power usage.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I think that the 115W is your averahe watt power, where 230W is your PSU's peak power. (And for anyone with a Dell, I am sure you know this- the PSU is stated that it is 250W, but that is average, and Dell has come out and said that it has a maximum of 340W, but some have calculated it to actually be 361W. So if you have a Dell (as I think every model has the 250W PSU, then you are okay to install ONE component that has a minimum power need of 300W- thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone.)

Peace,
Jared