Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop or Desktop

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You canupgrade the RAM and the HD and the disk drive, CPU and the GFX are more difficult and the GFX can be done if you send it to professionals although im sure you could do it yourself in theory but laptops can be a real bugger.

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
its not about being a laptop its about it being a dell
dells are known for using non standard parts. The ram is different the HD are different sizes. They want you to buy all upgrades through dell so you spend an arm and a leg i truely reccomend a different maker.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dell arent so bad when it comes to laptps they have a good rep and its well deserved when it comes to laptops. In this case dell is actually one of the best for upgrading.
Weird i know.

Although an alienware is always an lternative but they arent as good at the moment they are kinda moving towards to the small light weight laptop area rather than back breaking desktop replacements.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
[removed]
dells will never be the best i had one and the ram was a weird size that no store carried i had to pay 80 to get an extra 128ram
now i have an HP and at best buy i can 30 to get a 256mb ram
dell sucks

Edited by admin, 15 July 2005 - 03:18 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You are letting past experience cloud your judgement maybe its just the american branches but over here the dell high end laptop range whips the lamas [bleep].

At least so say every magazine that does and doesnt have anyhting to do with computers. BEST BUY, more the fool on you for wanting to buy out of a shop.
Dell is expenisve for upgrades its best to go and buy some crucial ballistix for it from somewhere else.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
first off i have experience are you using info from mags or do you have expierience with dell. second i only bought best buy because of a holiday sale had an awesome price on ram. also magazine articles say dell is good. dell is good quality and performance when you buy one it is awesome but they can't be upgraded. so if you go all out and by one that will still be ok for a few years then ok dell might good. but if you plan on upgrading at all dell is not the way to go.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i have never personally bought a dell laptop as i allready have a laptop that fits my needs that i got for nothing.
But i know many people with dells and not a bad word do they have to say about them. Dells can be upgraded unless there is some conspiracy i dont know about, but like all laptops they are difficult to upgrade but thats a laptop thing not a dell thing.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
haha gettin kinda rowdy.....
Sorry to hudihoo but warrior is right the dell that i am goin to get does come with slots that enable me to change ram with ease i know about the weird harddrive but im gettin a 80GB 7200 so im really not worried about changing it anytime soon and if I need extra space i'll just get an external one. I know the cpu and gfx card are hard to upgrade but if they don't say anything about the 7800go by the end of this month then i guess i'll just have to be careful upgrading. It will be interesting.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
im not saying you can't upgrade ram but if you want to you have to do it through dell and they charge an arm and a leg go get your dell and in about a year will so pissed you didn't listen to me. I have had a dell and i had to sell for a fourth of what i paid so i can get my HP that i am using now i upgrage my HP every few monthes. I have a few harddrives all kind of ram and i even upgraded graphics easily. I agree with laptops being difficult to upgrade because they are but dell is even harder and more costly.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Dude more than likely im goin to get an XPS and i am completely positive that i don't have to go through dell to buy ram.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What are you on about, if you cant upgrade the ram on a dell then why have i read several reviews saying not to bother getting a dell upgrade of ram: because you can very easily buy more stuff from crucial and fit it yourself very easily.

There are only a handful of companies that make laptops of the quality he wants i can only think of three off hand Acer, Dell and Alienware of the three Dell has been rated the best in almost every review ive seen.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
because maybe you can't read. [removed]

Edited by admin, 15 July 2005 - 03:18 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wow....haaarrrrssshhhhhh

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i say what needs to be said he is wrong i am right.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just saying.....the wording could be better...and he is right....dell gets very strong reviews....warranted or not...they are basically the top commercial supplier