Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp freezes and has trouble booting up

• Please log in to reply

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Note before anyone tries to help me - I don't have my windows pro cd so I can't reinstall, fix, or copy files from the cd. A new copy would cost like $100.

Two problems:

The first is my computer freezes frequently. It won't matter what I'm doing, just every five minutes it will freeze and I'll be forced to press alt cntrl and delete. Once I bring up the task manager and close it everything resumes normal and it unfreezes. As you can imagine, this would get very annoying after awhile. I've run spyware scans and am pretty sure I'm not infected with anything.

The second problem is my comp, many times, won't start up. When it is about to load the log on screen, the screen remains blank, followed by my comp shutting down. However if I wait five minutes after it shut itself down, it will work when I try again (always). Sometimes there is an error message saying something about the lsass before it shuts down.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
the lsass error could be caused by the sasser virus, but usually it restarts the pc automatically, in your case its crashing.
you can use the removal tool from norton, and see if it detects the virus which might sort your problem.

http://securityrespo...oval.tool.html/

it would be helpful if you could have a look at the error messages in your system log.

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ran that lsass scanner and it said I didn't have it. I got another look at the error message and it doesn't say lsass anymore it says: "The application failed to intialize properly 0x00..."

How do you view your system log?

Please help the problem has gotten worse since I've posted.

Edited by St0rm, 06 July 2005 - 07:20 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bringing this back from the dead

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.[/code]

I thnk you may have a failing harddrive..we're looking for an error that says BAD BLOCK

see it?

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ok where do I look for BAD BLOCK (under type, date, time, source)

I believe this is the start error I get. I'm not sure how you want me to post it, so I'll just post it all.

Error 7/15/2005 3:19:07 Service Control Manager None 7000 N/A PHILL-XP

When I right click on it and click properties:

Description: The BuddyVM service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

I googled Buddy (BuddyVM had no results) and it appears to be a tool that lets you remove malicious programs from startup. It's a possibly that I could've installed it months ago, but its not present today. Maybe when I uninstalled it, it caused problems with the start up.

Edited by St0rm, 15 July 2005 - 01:42 PM.

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Lets focus on the more annoying issue. A user called The_Dude has the same problem as me and made a topic here It might be a windows xp pro issue.

To quote, the problem is:

When I have more than one window open, I sometimes cannot switch from one window to another. The other window becomes inactive and I have to press ctrl alt del. Once I do that, I close out the task manager and then the window becomes active. This occurs regardless of which programs I am using. Not only does the window become inactive, but I sometimes cannot access the start menu unless I press ctrl al del.

I downloaded process explorer to check out my cpu usage. Here is the performance while I played a media file.

Posted Image

The sharp peaks of cpu usage are caused by windows media player and System idle process. So basically whatever program I use takes up all my resources for periods at a time. And like I said before, I have 1 GB of ram so this shouldn't be happening.

Here's a picture of all my processes.

Posted Image

Edited by St0rm, 18 July 2005 - 08:19 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
forget the bad block...the wmp processing sucking 100 percent of your processor time will explain that issue (though not the starting up problem)...

What version of windows media player are you using?

Are your chipset and audio drivers uptodate?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
storm, please stay in one thread.....posting the same or related problems in multiple threads is counter productive

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

What version of windows media player are you using?

version 9.00

Are your chipset and audio drivers uptodate?

I think, this comp is less than 2 years old.

I just ran a movie for an example. The inactive windows problem occurs no matter what I'm doing. My cpu usage could be very low and it would still occur.

storm, please stay in one thread.....posting the same or related problems in multiple threads is counter productive

This was posted weeks before the other topic. Never planned on posting in the other thread, just wanted to let you know reinstalling SP2 doesn't work. Also I was helping The_Dude in the malware forum and directed him back to XP.

Edited by St0rm, 18 July 2005 - 08:57 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would certainly update your drivers (chipset, audio, video)...

You coulod update wmp, too, but for the moment, I woudl do the drivers and then reinstall wmp9 over itself.

Get it here

http://www.oldversio...ogram.php?n=wmp

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ok all my drivers were already up-to-date and I reinstalled wmp which didn't have any effect. That shouldn't make a difference anyway, the problem occurs even when I'm not using wmp. I should also note that the movie I was playing was divx and the snap shot was during a high cpu usage point.

Edited by St0rm, 18 July 2005 - 10:21 PM.

The Dude

The Dude

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
St0rm,

I had the same problem. Finally I just reseated the ram and the graphics card and no longer have the problem so far. Hope this helps.

Krymzon

Krymzon

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I hav about the same problem i think it's from cpu and ram being maxed whilst being used..it freezes up for 2-20 minutes..cant do anything. IT unfreezes i can do whatever afterwards...i also have trouble booting up my laptop it started acouple weeks back it tarted by lagging and freezing whilst switching power modes and now it's progressed to rebooting several times before even getting to the windows loading screen. I ran memtest in windows and hd check in my bios , and no problems. I'm at a loss so far no virii or malware scans so far have found anything so..as i said i'm at a loss for what is going on. please help..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Krymzon

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is over 4 years old, it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. It is highly doubtful someone will assist on a topic this old. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.