Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drives Missing.

• Please log in to reply

Monkey Joe

Monkey Joe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a problem where both my DVD and Writer drives have disappeared.

The shortcuts are no longer in my computer and there is no sign of them in device manager.

The dvd drive will open and close and spins a disc up when inserted but will do nothing more. The writer drive doesn't respond at all, it doesn't even open.

Please HELP.

Advertisements

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Are they internal or external?
-Jared

Monkey Joe

Monkey Joe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Internal, never touched.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Have you moved your computer at all? Other people help mee out. I wonder if this could be a problem:

Because you say that you can have access to opening and closing the drive, then there must be power to them. Thus, you know that the power cables are connected. And you also say that my computer and device manager do not recognize them, but they did before. And it will not recognize either of the two drives. Thus, could the problem be an IDE cable that cae loose in your computer? Have you looked inside it to see if it connected porperly, as the cable would connect both of your drives to the computer (they are both connected to the same ribbon.) Could you check it's connection to the motherboard? OR perhaps is this to difficult to happen? Well for one thing, it is definitely the communication with the drives and the computer. And the IDE cable could be this connection. Just a guess. Anyone else have any ideas?

Peace,
Jared

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Need to tell us more. . . .

Think of all events that happend since cd last functioned properly . .

Did you have a power failure? Computer reset? Any recent updates downloaded just prior to failure? Any recent hardware change or software changes btween last working & having problem

I keep a daily log on all changes / happenings. . . .

Normally you do not use all fnctions of the computer everyday . . .so just listing the events helps . . . .question yourself about any odd things that you noticed . . . .

Computers are GREAT !!! and sometimes they even work

Tell us more
Jack123

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try this and see if it helps

Rick

Monkey Joe

Monkey Joe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah, ;). I now have my drives back and in working order.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice much appreciated. :tazz: