Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCANDIS5 Protocol Driver

• Please log in to reply

ftlng

ftlng

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Following the installation of the Netgear USB wireless network adapter, I get a message that new hardware has been found and it is PCANDIS5 Protocol. It asks for a driver which I have been unable to locate. It is not on the Netgear disk. Does anyone have a clue what this is and where I can find a driver to satisfy what it is looking for?

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
This looks like it may be a bug in Windows. I have seen other sites describing the same issues with Linksys routers and blame it on them. Since we don't know that what I read is limited to Linksys only, I will post the steps, if you review the information and it is the same scenario, then the fix may help.

Step 1: Click Start, Search, Find all files and folders; then you will be searching for the file Pcandis5.sys. This file "should" either be located in the C:\Windows\System32, or a subdirectory of C:\Program Files. Once found, mark the location of the file.

Step 2: Click Start, Run; type regedit, press enter. This will open your registry editor, I suggest clicking File at the top and export, then save the export file somewhere that you will be able to access.

Step 3: You will be looking for a certain registry key, it should be in; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PCANDIS5
You should then see a entry there called; ImagePath: \??\D:\AutoRun\PCANDIS5.SYS
If the file was found under the c:\windows\system32 directory, then you would change that entry to; ImagePath: \??\C:\Windows\System32\PCANDIS5.SYS
That is an example, you may have different path to enter in the registry entry depending on what the search from Step 1 resulted. Then restart the computer and see what happens.

Greazy Mcgeezy

ftlng

ftlng

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Greazy. I follwed your directions and found things to be as you had described that they should be. No changes necessary. System keeps wanteing to install PCANDIS5 and also AEGIS Protocol since the install of this Netgear WG111 wireless USB adapter.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, well, here is another article that I found. It is suggesting that your problems may be coming from security issues with the Netgear router. I will re-post a post from it that has links you may find helpful with this situation. This post doesn't "appear" to have anything to do with your issue, but it does mention that AEGIS is a 3rd party software that "should" work with your setup. The post is suggesting that you may have the wrong drivers to begin with, and also that your router may need new firmware. The posts that really drew my attention on your issue were:

#2: DrTCP
#8: Mozerd

I hope this information helps. I will keep searching, but this one looked that it may contain information to point us in a different, but hopefully better direction.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to post the link: http://www.dslreport...remark,11828882

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 04 July 2005 - 01:14 AM.