Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Renew IP Address!

• Please log in to reply

liskiewi

liskiewi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, so here's my problem. I just formatted my gf's sony vaio pcv-rs510 and installed winxp professional on it. I downloaded all the drivers and utilities from the vaio website for the pcv-rs510 and installed them. I do not have any hardware conflicts. Windows loads up just fine, however, there is no internet connection when the computer loads - the little icon with the two computers and the flashing screens doesn't appear in the system tray. BUT, after about one minute the hard drive becomes active and the icon previously mentioned appears. From this point, I am unable to load a webpage in internet explorer - when I try I get the error message: "Internet Explorer could not open the search page". I cannot ping anything, I get the error message: "Ping request could not find host <hostname I entered>. Please check the name and try again". When I check the status of the internet connection, I see I am sending packets but not receiving them. My IP address begins with 169. When I try to repair the connection, I get the error message: "The following steps of the repair operation failed: Renewing the IP address. Please contact your network administrator or ISP". I also notice that I have 4 svchost.exe's running in the task manager. One other thing is that I have a 1394 Net Adapter installed in addition to the network adapter that is being used for my broadband Local Area Connection. The 1394 Net Adapter has its own network connection entitled "1394 Connection 2". I am 100% sure there is nothing wrong with my switch that the computer is connected to because I am posting this message right now on my laptop which is plugged into the same switch. Also, the broadband connection on the vaio worked fine before I formatted its hard-drive. I also tried the winsockfix which also did not work!

Thanks in advance for any help you guys may offer.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
One quick check, on the computer that works, click Start, Run; type cmd, at the command window, type; ipconfig /all, the information that gets displayed here is the information that will matter most. If your IP address begins with, 192.168., or if it begins with, 172.16, or if it begins with 10., then you will be safe to post the information here. If it begins with ANYTHING other than those specific ones, then I would not post it in the forum, just let us know that it is not one of those addresses. Please respond with the requested information.

Greazy Mcgeezy

liskiewi

liskiewi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The problem had to do with the drivers for the integrated ethernet adapter. I came to this conclusion by buying a cheap pci network card. My network connection works fine with it. It also turns out that the drivers for the integrated ethernet adapter are discontinued, so it is unlikely it will ever work. :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Good deal, glad you were able to get it straightened out.

Greazy Mcgeezy