Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Important data retrieval

• Please log in to reply

tremosley1022

tremosley1022

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there any way i can retreieve data from a partially formatted Hd? I got fed up with trying to install/upgrade my xp to xp pro sp2. I was gonna swap said Hd out and put another one in......except in my frustration i forgot to swap. I shut it down around 20 %. Am I S.O.L. or is their a saving (yet inexpensive) grace?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you mean that tried to go from XP Home to Pro, and shut down before the upgrade completed?

Does the computer boot?

Johanna

tremosley1022

tremosley1022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Do you mean that tried to go from XP Home to Pro, and shut down before the upgrade completed?

Does the computer boot?

Johanna

View Post

i shut down during formatting of the HD....it was at 20 or 30 % (blue screen.....yellow progress bar)

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
well this can be done by using some 3rd party software, or if you have another empty partition or HDD then you can install another operating system and slave this drive into it, or if you don't have another HDD then you can take your HDD to one of your mates who has a PC and slave it to theirs and transfer your data through.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
of course i forgot to add that you can perfom the above if there is any data left! you said you have started formatting and i am not sure what data has been wiped out.

tremosley1022

tremosley1022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

of course i forgot to add that you can perfom the above if there is any data left! you said you have started formatting and i am not sure what data has been wiped out.

View Post

thats my biggest fear as well....
as far as 3rd party software, what would u suggest (if mentioning a certain brand is against board policy, i apologize for my violation)?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
well you have to expect the worst!

you can use Winternals Administrators, you can create a bootable disk which has an operating system running on it (running all from CD) and you could access functionalities such as buring to CD's or transfering through the network.

But it relies on some functionality of your operating system! I can't garantee that would work. Your safest and most cheapest bet is to slave your HDD to another machine and copy your data through.

tremosley1022

tremosley1022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

well you have to expect the worst!

you can use Winternals Administrators, you can create a bootable disk which has an operating system running on it (running all from CD) and you could access functionalities such as buring to CD's or transfering through the network.

But it relies on some functionality of your operating system! I can't garantee that would work. Your safest and most cheapest bet is to slave your HDD to another machine and copy your data through.

View Post

I appreciate the suggestions....ill post my results regardless of outcome.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You're best bet is to take this harddrive and put it in another computer, then run a program like pc file inspector (free)
http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm

or another program

That way you are not accessing the drive with datayou want to recover except for reading the data